Author Topic: Painter crashes when baking mesh maps  (Read 6306 times)

Hi, I just started my trial period.
Unfortunately, every time I try to bake mesh maps, Painter crashes.
I attached the log file, and you can find the fbx, the substance file and a screenshot in my dropbox folder:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gv2lfrh14zn3m0b/AABIk3F-YS9g1_9p5Hy89wHQa?dl=0
Feri

Tried with version 2019.2.2, same results.
Feri

Will tech support be this ignorant once I start paying for the subscription as well?
Feri

It works fine here, but I'm on Win 10 and a much newer video card. I'm not a Mac guy. Do you have the latest video drivers installed?

Someone else needs to interpret your log file for a real accurate interpretation. I see "780M" which is kinda old for a video card. I also see "Number of detected GPU devices: 0" in the log file. That makes me think that Painter is not really detecting your video card. Is there a setting in MacOS to tell it to use the 780M?

If you bake a basic cube and use the lowest resolution setting possible and no AA, plus bake low as high does it still crash?

If you bake a basic cube and use the lowest resolution setting possible and no AA, plus bake low as high does it still crash?
—Yes it does. Basically the moment it starts to bake I get the beachball icon, and in a few seconds, it crashes.

I'm not a Mac guy. Do you have the latest video drivers installed?
—There is no such thing on a Mac. All drivers come with the OS updates. Plus, since last year, there is no CUDA driver support.

Is there a setting in MacOS to tell it to use the 780M?
—I found no setting in Painter that would allow me to do that.

This sentence from another forum from last year, coming from an Allegorithmic staff is rather sinister, though.
As answered in this thread, tesselation in Designer on MacOS is coming, but it probably won't be soon. On the other hand, we don't have plans for using Metal at this point.

Do you actually have Mac support? Because I've been waiting for help for 3 days now, my trial period is getting shorter without me being able to use the software, and if support is this unreliable, I'm not sure if I want to switch to a paid subscription at the end of the month.
Feri

Did you try contacting them off the forums?

https://www.substance3d.com/contact

no, because that page says "For Technical and Workflow questions and support about the software, you should post your question on our forum, where our team will help you.", but I'm gonna write now because this is ridiculous, especially with Adobe's resources.
Feri

OK, so I disabled the live preview on the baking process and it seems to have solved the problem.
I'm still concerned about the fact that it doesn't detect my video card, though. And again, this is a feature in the software that clearly doesn't work, so I still want some answers. Let's see if the email team can make the tech team work. I doubt it, but hope dies last.
Feri

It is likely that your issue is related to outdated Nvidia drivers for Mac systems. As Apple discontinued their collaboration with Nvidia and switched to AMD, they stopped producing driver updates. You are using the 355 driver version, whereas the latest Nvidia produced driver for Windows is 440.

As Painter is very dependent on up to date graphic drivers, unfortunately, there is little we can do on our side as the issues are Nvidia-Mac based. Disabling baking preview would indeed help, but it may not solve all potential issues. You can always try an older version of Substance Painter, I would suggest before 2018.3, as that's when Sparse was introduce.

You can find all versions in Licenses > All Build.
Valeria Gerontopoulos
Jr Product Designer - Technical Artist

So you're selling a software for Mac that is not optimised for Macs, and it's Apple's fault, so Mac users should just switch to Windows, or buy a new computer. If that comes from Adobe, I'm not surprised, but if that comes from the Allegorithmic team, well guys, you are on the right track to become a company just as shitty as your master.
Feri

All Macs from the past few years come with AMD cards, which have up to date drivers and can run the most recent versions of Painter without any issues.

I am sorry but we can't really do much if Apple decides to no longer produce drivers or give support for their older machines with Nvidia. All I can advise you is switch to an older version of Painter since it would be less demanding on the machine.
Valeria Gerontopoulos
Jr Product Designer - Technical Artist