Author Topic: Substance Plugin (4.23.0.2) with PS4/Xbox support crashes UE4 build at start  (Read 8559 times)

Hey everyone!

I build UE4 4.23.0-release from source for PS4, Xbox and Switch. I got the PS4/Xbox-enabled source code of the Substance Plugin (4.23.0.2) that I extracted into Engine/Plugins/Runtime.

When I create an InstalledBuild everthing compiles fine.

When I start the compiled UE4Editor the engine crashes (starts up until about 70%).

Here's what I tried:
- GenerateProjectFiles.bat after copying the plugin source
- Built without Switch (since it's not officially supported by the Substance Plugin)
- alternatively tried to copy the source into /Engine/Plugins/Substance (instead of Runtime)

Here's the error log - maybe someone way smarter than me can figure out what's wrong here.
Thanks in advance!
Best,
Ron

Assertion failed: [File:E:/Sourcecodes/UnrealEngine 4.23/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/Substance/Source/SubstanceCore/Private/SubstanceCoreModule.cpp] [Line: 162] Unable to load Substance Library.

UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsErrorOutputDevice::Serialize() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowserroroutputdevice.cpp:79]
UE4Editor_Core!FOutputDevice::LogfImpl() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\outputdevice.cpp:71]
UE4Editor_Core!AssertFailedImplV() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:101]
UE4Editor_Core!FDebug::AssertFailed() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\core\private\misc\assertionmacros.cpp:455]
UE4Editor_SubstanceCore!FSubstanceCoreModule::StartupModule() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\plugins\runtime\substance\source\substancecore\private\substancecoremodule.cpp:166]
UE4Editor_Core!FModuleManager::LoadModuleWithFailureReason() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\core\private\modules\modulemanager.cpp:550]
UE4Editor_Projects!FModuleDescriptor::LoadModulesForPhase() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\projects\private\moduledescriptor.cpp:596]
UE4Editor_Projects!TryLoadModulesForPlugin() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\projects\private\pluginmanager.cpp:938]
UE4Editor_Projects!FPluginManager::LoadModulesForEnabledPlugins() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\projects\private\pluginmanager.cpp:1003]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::LoadStartupModules() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:3337]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::PreInit() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2738]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:131]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:147]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [e:\sourcecodes\unrealengine 4.23\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:279]
UE4Editor!__scrt_common_main_seh() [d:\agent\_work\2\s\src\vctools\crt\vcstartup\src\startup\exe_common.inl:288]
kernel32
ntdll

Solved!
In case somebody runs into the same issue:
Check your installed build if the DLLs (from /Substance/DLLs/Release) carry over.
If not, just copy them and it works.