Author Topic: Painter won't open at all  (Read 205 times)

I just got a new computer, a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1. It's much more powerful than my old laptop from 2012, which could open Painter and Designer just fine (although it could only use low-poly models). For some reason, this computer can open Designer but not Painter and I can't figure out why. The splash screen pops up, then a tiny white program box appears and disappears immediately, then the splash disappears.

Downloaded all-new drivers for everything, cleared the Substance Painter registry folder, set the TDR pretty high, ran DISM and SFC, disabled OneDrive, and checked for other software conflicts but I don't see any. Painter is allowed through the firewall, and turning off Windows Defender before opening it didn't do anything. There is no other antivirus on the computer. VRAM is set to be automatically managed.

I've seen other threads here where people are stuck on a white screen but I'm not even getting that far. Looking at the log file doesn't tell me anything but I don't really know what to look for, aside from that it doesn't seem to get as far as other people's log files and there's no explicit crash message getting pushed through. My only thought is that maybe the Iris Plus integrated graphics chip is too new and not supported yet? On paper this computer should be able to run Painter way better than my old one, the integrated GPU is almost 4x faster than my old Quadro NVS 5400M.

Thanks for taking a look at this and please let me know if there's anything else I can try!

In your log it mentions that your are running on your integrated GPU (Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics).
Try to follow this help page: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/crash-or-freeze-during-startup-182266673.html
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Yep that's the correct chip. I don't know much anything about drivers but I have seen issues with chips/drivers being too new for programs before so that's why I was thinking it might be the issue. I'm likely wrong, though.

As far as that help page goes, I've done everything applicable on it already with no results.

If you don't have any dedicated GPU and only an integrated GPU, there is not much we can do unfortunately. Substance Painter rely heavily on the GPU and integrated chipsets are not powerful enough. There are quite often unstable and we actually don't recommend them. See: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/technical-requirements-172824034.html

If you crash, you can still send us a crash report and we will look into it. However we cannot guarantee a fix.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Alright, thanks for the help I guess. I just thought that since this computer exceeds the minimum requirements of Painter by quite a bit that it would be able to run it. Guess I'll have to wait on using the program until I can afford an external GPU enclosure.