Author Topic: how can i have color values above 1.0 in user channels!  (Read 1444 times)

I'm utilizing custom channels  for IOR and extinction coefficient but the values can not go above 1.0.

//: param auto channel_user0
uniform sampler2D IOR_tex;
//: param auto channel_user1
uniform sampler2D Ext_Coeff_tex;

and then I'm fetching rgb values from them to be used as IOR and extinction coeff inside my function.
its working fine but I'd need values to go above 1.0
help please.

If you want values that go beyond 1.0 (or lower than 0) you need HDR. For that you need to switch the Data Type of your user channels to 16Bits or 32Bits floating. See: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/texture-set-settings-29130771.html#TextureSetSettings-Channelslist
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

If you want values that go beyond 1.0 (or lower than 0) you need HDR. For that you need to switch the Data Type of your user channels to 16Bits or 32Bits floating. See: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/texture-set-settings-29130771.html#TextureSetSettings-Channelslist
hi, I can't still choose rgb values greater than 1, when i click on the color, the swatch that pops up doesn't allow typing values greater than 1.
Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 06:59:11 pm

any update on this?

The color picker can't go over 1.0 at the moment. If you want to store a bigger value you will have to work around it by using a level or another effect to scale the layer value.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Thanks for your reply.....
I'll have o store my values in texture then...
Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:33:48 pm

Is this something you are working on fixing for future versions?

The color picker can't go over 1.0 at the moment. If you want to store a bigger value you will have to work around it by using a level or another effect to scale the layer value.

We have plans to rework our color picker, but no ETA.
-----------