Author Topic: No seperate texture sets?  (Read 861 times)

Hi,

I'm exporting from 3dsmax. All my objects have got seperate UV's and seperate materials assigned.
Yet in substance I'm only getting one texture set. I'm at a loss here. Kind of need help.

Are you 100% sure no material ids are shared?

Can you share the mesh?

material Id's? I was used to export from maya and I figured it would be the same. I assigned materials (ai standard surfaces) for Arnold in max to the different objects and named them all differently. Material ID's really arent of use in maya, but because they came from Max I have to look at those too? I mean for material Id's then seperate from the surface shaders? I mean when I exported from maya just assigning the different surface shaders seemed to be enough to do the trick.
Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:14:08 pm

Alright. Without seeing the mesh I wouldn't know. I still think it's due to different parts having the same MAT ID.

can i post an OBJ file here?

how do i best share a mesh with you?
Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:19:07 pm

You can use Dropbox or Google Drive if you're unable to attach it here.

nvm didnt check the attachment system here. I gave the exported objects

The error message at the bottom of Painters UI tells you exactly what the problem is. A UV shell is crossing multiple UDIM tiles, after checking your FBX file namely that is the object 'plank008'.

When I load your FBX into Painter I get different texture sets per each MAT ID. Did you change something because it works fine on my end.

part of the UVs for Plank8 being outside of the 0-1 space wouldn't cause all the different UVs to collapse and has zero impact on the MAT IDs. I also don't see a UDIM workflow on my end based on the FBX attached.

No I didnt really change anything on it. So you get the planks, the wall pieces and the floor connections? And no, I didnt work with Udim's at all. I just kind of checked it out the last time i loaded it all because it was the one thing that mentioned different texture sets in the menu popup.
Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:02:21 pm

This is what I get on import into Painter:

yeah that's exactly how I wanted it...
But I get it all collapsed together.

yeah that's exactly how I wanted it...
But I get it all collapsed together.

Create your project like this and try again.

ok thanks man, now it worked. So I had to change from OpenGl to DirectX from the import settings, it seems. What is the difference of openGl to directX for it?

ok thanks man, now it worked. So I had to change from OpenGl to DirectX from the import settings, it seems. What is the difference of openGl to directX for it?

That would be really odd because DirectX or OpenGL is just about having the green channel inverted or not for your normal map. Unity for example uses OpenGL, Unreal uses DirectX for their normal maps.

I see no difference in using either for how it would affect your texture set list.

Use 100% of what I shown in the screen shot but put openGL, it should still work.
Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 09:17:17 pm