Author Topic: Is It Possible To Paint Through A Mesh?  (Read 306 times)

So I'm curious about this because it would really help with the current project I'm working on. Is there a way to paint or project through an entire mesh? Someone asked this same question on Steam with little useful replies and worded it well:

"Even with backface culling off, we can't paint across the back surfaces of a mesh. My question is how could we actually paint on the entire model, backfaces and all?

The idea would be to say have a cylinder (or barrel or something) and you draw a line across the entire mesh and have it create a ring on the surface. So the stroke would apply straight through the entire mesh. Is this possible without having to resort to painting on the UVs (which is hard to align)?"

Here's a link to the original question on Steam:https://steamcommunity.com/app/273390/discussions/0/494632506576952301/

I feel this would be really useful when working with cylindrical shapes that you want to paint rings around especially. Thoughts?

You would just render as double sided which is done at the shader level. Just continue to paint on one side and when you apply the texture you can have it display on both sides when rendering either through a game engine or something like Cycles in Blender.

EDIT: I forgot to add, it's actually better to just add in the double sided geometry and just flip. It's less overhead doing this as opposed to the shader method.
Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:59:50 am

You can do this easily by using planar projection. Its not possible to project a manual paintstroke through the entire mesh, but you can project a fill layer through the mesh.

To do this, just create a fill layer, put an alpha image into the base color channel of the fill, then set the Projection drop-down to 'Planar projection'. It will project the alpha through the mesh. Use the Projection Manipulator to move/ rotate/ scale the projection. You can also have the projection fade out with depth, repeat horizontally/ vertically ect.

I use this regularly to e.g. create a mask with stripes for clothing with stripes or the like (assign a fill effect to a mask).

You can do this easily by using planar projection. Its not possible to project a manual paintstroke through the entire mesh, but you can project a fill layer through the mesh.

To do this, just create a fill layer, put an alpha image into the base color channel of the fill, then set the Projection drop-down to 'Planar projection'. It will project the alpha through the mesh. Use the Projection Manipulator to move/ rotate/ scale the projection. You can also have the projection fade out with depth, repeat horizontally/ vertically ect.

I use this regularly to e.g. create a mask with stripes for clothing with stripes or the like (assign a fill effect to a mask).

Awesome! I knew I had to be missing something. Regardless, even though the effect can't be hand painted, I figured there had to be some kind of projection property that could do this, which still provides a decent work around. Thanks!

Awesome! I knew I had to be missing something. Regardless, even though the effect can't be hand painted, I figured there had to be some kind of projection property that could do this, which still provides a decent work around. Thanks!

Sorry, I guess I was confused on your question as I thought you were referring to having a texture on one side (painted) reflect the other side.  :o