Author Topic: Baking Problem on edges  (Read 3425 times)

Hi.

After Baking, I seen some black stain on edges of my low poly mesh.

This is low poly mesh:

This is high poly mesh:

This is baked mesh:

This problem is related to high poly mesh. mean after use Turbosmooth for high poly mesh in 3ds max, The edges soften and put black stain on low poly mesh after baking.

In picture below, I put low poly and high poly meshes on together in 3ds max and you can see gray colors that is high poly edge that softened. in fact these are black stain in substance painter.

Always I have this problem for bake any model.also i tried to move low poly edges for fix it but the stains got bigger. i don't know what is wrong because, always i have this problem for soften edges. so, dose anyone know how can fix this problem?

Thanks A Lot.
Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:48:20 pm

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I didn't find any answer for my problem. I tried all suggestions (add more connect side edges, reduce UV island) in above link but problem still exist.  :-\

I attached a curve model (low poly and high poly) for test. if possible please check it and show me where is my problem.

NOTE: high poly not contain any chamfer and subdiv. but low poly has UV unwrapped.

Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 01:59:02 pm

Can you attach a log file : https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/exporting-the-log-file-128745475.html
And add a screenshot of the normal map you get ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

You have both the high and low poly mesh inside the file Curve_low, this will produce issue during the baking process because you have overlapping geometry that is read as being the low-poly.

Also looking at your normal map, it is exactly what is explained in the Polycount link :
Now when we look at the difference between the high and the low, the problem becomes very obvious. The greater the difference in curvature, the more problems you're going to have.

You low poly mesh don't have enough geometry to follow the high-poly mesh curve. You will have to increase the polycount or adjust your geometry to fit better the high-poly curve.
-----------

with add more edges in low poly i fixed my problem. I had another mistake, it was overlapped UVs for decrease UV space that make show some gray stain on edges.

about my low poly that you said it contain high poly too, it just a layer and not contain high poly mesh, because i use export selected for export from 3ds max. ;)
Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:33:58 pm

about my low poly that you said it contain high poly too, it just a layer and not contain high poly mesh, because i use export selected for export from 3ds max. ;)
I loaded your fbx in Maya, there were two different meshes in the scene, I wasn't talking about the layers.
-----------

I loaded your fbx in Maya, there were two different meshes in the scene, I wasn't talking about the layers.

I understand your mean. I imported my low and high mesh that attached here in 3ds max but in inside of them there is one mesh and other are layers.

low-poly:

high-poly: