Author Topic: How to paint normals without a border  (Read 124 times)

When I use the paint tool with hard surface widgets it always creates a rectangular border around said widgets. I'd like to get rid of the border as I'm intending to use the normal layer as a mask later on. See the attachment, the image on the right is what I'm after.
Thanks, David

When you export your texture set your normal will combine your height layers and wont have transparent backgrounds with borders.

Yes, I know - export is fine, I care about borders before the export, so that I may use them in masks properly.

Yes, I know - export is fine, I care about borders before the export, so that I may use them in masks properly.

No idea then. I personally would just use Alphas with the same shape. Exports as normals and allows masking.

This is not possible to paint/stamp a normal without that border. It's a technical limitation unfortunately.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Thanks! Is it possible to somehow tell a mask generated from a normal layer (via anchor points for instance) to ignore the borders?
I basically have a layer of sci-fi paneling as a bottom layer and stamp normals on top of it - I'd want the underlying paneling to disappear wherever I have normals stamped.
Currently I'm doing a workaround in that I'm manually masking each normal stamp out from the underlying panels layer but figured there's got to be a more elegant solution. Another workaround I have is to simultaneously stamp the normal and a corresponding heightmap, but that's error-prone as it's easy to forget to apply both when painting.
Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 07:24:45 pm