Author Topic: Dynamic text from input parameter.  (Read 6116 times)

Hi guys,

here is a small feature request that would help me (and hopefully others) a lot with text and decals that should be baked in-texture.

So far you can expose parameters like colour so you can reference to them, and input values from outside substance designer (like in UE4, unity, etc). My idea is that if you can input numbers to get a specific colour or value, why not input a string of letters, symbols and numbers for a decal. (Not sure if a specific font has to be embedded into the file then). But this lets you edit the text on instanced textures, and add signs and such. (in substance I would use the 2d transform node to place it correctly, and then feed the result as a mask into my diffuse, normal, metal and roughness maps). If there are too many characters it would loop around (unless tiling is turned off), but for short labels it would work like a charm.

Is something like this already possible? Would this be a welcome feature? I know I would use it a lot.

Your outcome is already possible but not in the exact way that you mentioned. 

You can use an input image for this purpose that can be changed by the user.  I use this approach for the decals and text in the attached for Substances in Unity.

Using an image is exactly what we are trying to avoid because it requires at least 1 image for each character if you want to concatenate or 1 image for each unique Alphanumeric Sequence.

The ability to convert text to image procedurally in a substance would be great.

Fonts are technically vector image sheets as far as i know, and substance can read vector images. A way to make textfields in the svg node, and type in there (with specific fonts) would be very welcome. With instanced materials for walls/doors you could do different text and symbols on it that way.

Fonts are technically vector image sheets as far as i know, and substance can read vector images. A way to make textfields in the svg node, and type in there (with specific fonts) would be very welcome. With instanced materials for walls/doors you could do different text and symbols on it that way.

Exactly my request here :D
http://allegorithmic.uservoice.com/forums/257908-substance-designer/suggestions/6739428-text-node

Yeah i noticed, it seems more people would think it a useful addition.

Your outcome is already possible but not in the exact way that you mentioned. 

You can use an input image for this purpose that can be changed by the user.  I use this approach for the decals and text in the attached for Substances in Unity.

True, we are using that in some areas, but an approach where in-engine we could edit the text for instances of a substance would save time, and hopefully a bit of performance as well.

I was looking for something like this today, could be very useful.

yes! i would love to have a text input right inside substance. There are MANY cases where you want that feature.

Substance Desinger 6 does that.

but i've tried to expose the Text field to change it into Unity, and it didn't work. my .SBSAR file from Sub6 can't be read into Unity 5.5.0.

Sbsar files from SD6 will be compatible with Unity in a few weeks.
Head of Product Management