Author Topic: Substance Painter 1.0 Extremely slow  (Read 3955 times)

Hi guys!
The title is pretty much self explanatory!

I've already read all kind of workarounds for this such as by lowering the shader quality to the lowest and updated my grahpic drivers to the latest.

Right now I am painting 4k, so I've already tried with lowering that to 2k but didn't have any affect on the performance at all.

It takes almost about 20 sec each time for substance(P) to actually react to the paintings , for an example if I press 3 times painting my model then it's going to take over a minute for it to actually paint that and I can't use any of the particles at all.

I am using an Alienware computer with this spec:

GPU: GeForce GTX 760 Ti OEM
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz
16GB Ram

So I can hardly imagine that would be the issue here.

Is there anything that I've forgotten to turn off that consumes a lot of performance or could it be something with the Substance (P) 1.0 that might be unstable?

Thanks in advance!

/Alexander Björk

Edit: Ok, some wierd things starts to happen sometimes when I paint as it trying to paint some sort of square shaped height information when I haven't even selcted any square shaped height value. And when that square shaped height value appears on my model the lags stops and I can paint with no delay whatsoever, but the problem is still there. That happens when I paint on my mask.
Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:28:42 pm

Would you happen to have a screenshot or small video showing the issue?

Hi Jeremie!

I might be able to pull off a screenshot of the wierd height painting pop-ups that appears sometimes when I am painting on my mask.
I am not sure if I can record a small video since something is eating my performance in Substance(P) so I am not so sure if I can do that but I can always try.

Thanks for the reply!

Edit: OK this is how it looks like! Hope that my hand writing is readable! =P

But it feels like Substance(P) 1.0 is even more buggy than beta version of it, it was more stable.

I have to finnish this character in time and it would be a shame if I couldn't do the texturing in Substance (P) and be able to mention that on my portfolio. But right now it takes way too long to wait for each paint to calculate, it's not even time friendly anymore for me to work with any further.

Just to let you know you guys have my fullest support, because I see a lot of potential for Substance(P) and It's definitely comparable to Mari and it is unique!

Thanks in advance!

/Alexander Björk
Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 09:48:39 am

Indeed if you are working in 4k, your 2GB of VRAM may be a little short. We are still working on a lot of optimizations for high resolution painting, but in the meantime, you should probably paint in 2k and then upscale to 4k whenever you need to check the final result.
That's how I work most of the time.

Indeed if you are working in 4k, your 2GB of VRAM may be a little short. We are still working on a lot of optimizations for high resolution painting, but in the meantime, you should probably paint in 2k and then upscale to 4k whenever you need to check the final result.
That's how I work most of the time.

This is how I work as well... I have 12GB of ram on this laptop, and I have 3gb of VRAM. I also hide parts that I am not working on so I can get some faster speed. Also someone set up a profile in their nVidia settings that turns off some options to speed up Painter.

Jeremie

Alright, but I actually mentioned that I lowered the resolution to 2k but didn't do any good for my performance, haven't tried with 1k yet, but I think there is something else to it than just the resolution itself that eats up all the performance.

KR Graphics

Yea, That might have solved my problem or at least
 improved the performance a bit. Thanks for sharing your experience with this!
Much appreciated!

I guess I'll just have to wait for the next version of Substance(P)
Cheers guys for the help anyway!  ;D

Edit: Problem Solved!!
Ok guys, I did a final try before I gave up on this and it was shown that it was the resolution that was the problem. I lowered it all the way to 1k and the lag was gone. You can always higher the resolution as Jeremie said to see how the textures will look like in higher res and then just lower the res back again in order to paint again without any lag. And if you still got some lag or the comp is very slow then try exactly what Kr Grahpic mentioned by changing some settings on your nvidia settings to speed things up in Substance(P).

I hope this helps for those who has the same problem as I had!
Cheers guys! Thank you!  8)
Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 02:09:07 pm