Author Topic: Substance Subscription Changes: details & FAQ  (Read 60492 times)

Hoping I can get an answer on my purchase questions before the Cyber Monday sale ends, though time is short and I understand I may have waiting too long before looking into this (was busy).

I currently have a Substance Subscription for just over a year (since September 2019).   I am currently paying $19.90 per month.

Question 1:
I see a new subscription can be had for just $149 – that’s almost $90 less than I am paying now!  What do I do to get this?  Do I first have to cancel my existing Subscription.   Or does my current subscription continue and just roll over into the lower price.  Also – is that promo amount deducted monthly, as my current subscription is, or is this a one time payment for the entire year?

Question 2:
If I subscribe to a new subscription at this lower cost – do I lose my unused Substance share points?

Question 3:
How does the buy out option work If I choose to no longer subscribe at all? I see another offer that says MAINTENANCE UPGRADE Substance Painter & Substance Designer for $50.  Does purchasing that automatically get me my perpetual license, or is there another route I have to go through to get perpetual buyout licenses for those two programs.  If so – how much is that and are they being promoted at a lower price as well.

I have read about perpetual being offered on Steam – is this the only way to redeem my buyout offer or, having been an Algorithmic Subscriber for over a year, can I get my perpetual buy out programs directly from Algorithmic / Adobe?  I have never used Steam and do not want to.

Question 4:
Do I need to purchase the buy out perpetual licenses immediately upon canceling my subscription, or can I wait till October 2020 even if I no longer have an active subscription?  For instance, I sign up for a new subscription at the lower price but want to wait till October 2020 to exercise my buyout option as granted under the previous subscription?

Question 1:
I see a new subscription can be had for just $149 – that’s almost $90 less than I am paying now!  What do I do to get this?  Do I first have to cancel my existing Subscription.   Or does my current subscription continue and just roll over into the lower price.  Also – is that promo amount deducted monthly, as my current subscription is, or is this a one time payment for the entire year?

Yes, you need to cancel your current one, or you will end up with 2 subscriptions. This is an annual payment for the whole year.

Question 2:
If I subscribe to a new subscription at this lower cost – do I lose my unused Substance share points?
You probably mean Source points. You keep them :)

Question 3:
How does the buy out option work If I choose to no longer subscribe at all? I see another offer that says MAINTENANCE UPGRADE Substance Painter & Substance Designer for $50.  Does purchasing that automatically get me my perpetual license, or is there another route I have to go through to get perpetual buyout licenses for those two programs.  If so – how much is that and are they being promoted at a lower price as well.

I have read about perpetual being offered on Steam – is this the only way to redeem my buyout offer or, having been an Algorithmic Subscriber for over a year, can I get my perpetual buy out programs directly from Algorithmic / Adobe?  I have never used Steam and do not want to.
The rent-to-own option is on your monthly subscription. You can use it, at the moment when you cancel, if you have been subscribed for more than 12 months. If you don't have 12 months at the moment of cancelling, or refuse the option when cancelling after 12 months, then you lose this option.

Question 4:
Do I need to purchase the buy out perpetual licenses immediately upon canceling my subscription, or can I wait till October 2020 even if I no longer have an active subscription?  For instance, I sign up for a new subscription at the lower price but want to wait till October 2020 to exercise my buyout option as granted under the previous subscription?
I answered it above. The rent-to-own needs to be exercised at the moment of the cancellation, if you meet all the criteria.
Director of Product Management & COO

Thank you so much Nicolas for clarifying all that.  One last question.  I am on my subscription page and can see that I can purchase a perpetual license for $49.99.  Of course this does not come with a Maintenance period.  However, can I still take advantage of the Cyber Monday sale and purchase the 1 yr. maintenance extension for $50?  Basically, am I still allowed to purchase maintenance during the buy out? Also does the $50 Cyber Monday Maintenance price include maintenance for both Designer AND Painter?

Yes you can.
This is 50$ per software though.
Director of Product Management & COO

I just got designer and painter on steam on sale and I was wondering if there is a way to run them on the substance launcher app or do I have to link them to algorithmic account first or will they just run on steam only?

I purchased a Substance Designer 4 and Substance Painter 1 Indie License several years back.
Decided to try out the latest, and went purchased the Indie Annual Subscription.

Now, I'm a bit confused as to how this model works. Does this mean that after a year from when I made the purchase, I will no longer have access to use Substance Painter or Designer, or does it mean I will just lose updates and Substance Source?
If so, I would have to use my old Substance Designer 4 and Substance Painter 1 licenses?

Should I have updated my old perpetual licenses instead? Or is that not possible? Maybe I should have purchased the licenses on Steam to update?

Reading through this thread, it seems people are concerned with wanting to have a perpetual license once a year of subscription runs out and decide not to continue with that model. Does that apply to anyone who purchases the Annual Subscription at any time or is there a cut-off date for that option?

Thank you

There will be a cutoff date to upgrade your perpetual license with maintenance at the end of October 2020.
Indeed with the subscription, you will lose access to the tools when you stop your subscription, but you will keep your Source points and access to your Source materials.
If you already got the sub for this year but want to get an up to date perpetual, I'd recommend waiting until October 2020 and upgrade your legacy licenses with the maintenance then.

Substance source or alchemists offer nothing to my workflow. B2M is already abandonware (I did used that software a loot).

Its abandonware only in the sense its not being developed any more.  Alchemist does what B2M did and much more.  Its simply the next evolution of the software.

Then why, If I purchased B2M to work with images, B2M is abandoned and now I have to subscribe in order to get the new tool?  I paid for it. that's what is fundamentally wrong about this entire subscription model, it is completely unethical. I purchased a tool to work with input images and instead of adding new features and offering an update, they come up with a new thing to lure me into new terms.

Sorry but you can't expect any software you bought to simply last and be supported forever. 
And I'd just like to point out, you don't 'own' the software, you own a license to use the software, even if it is perpetual and the license is under the terms set forth by the developer and owner of said software.