Author Topic: Substance Subscription Changes: details & FAQ  (Read 277369 times)

Answer is Yes to both your questions :)

Extremely unhappy about the decision to do away with Perpetual Indie licensing. It feels like the money I have already spent to license these products is being totally devalued. I dont want to 'rent' software because the fact is I dont get to work in this software every day, so im really not getting my moneys worth at all to have a subscription that I only occasionally get to use. Which probably means as a result I wont be spending any further money on this software. I urge you to reconsider this decision, at least then you will occasionally get some money out of me to renew my perpetual license. You had a great pricing system, I really wish you would have left well enough alone.

How long does perpetual indie licensing intend to last under Steam until that is changed? Can I get a free perpetual indie license through steam if I have already payed for a perpetual indie license through Allegorithmic??

Not happy at all with this change...

Answer is Yes to both your questions :)

Thanks so much, Jeremie. That is a relief to hear. I was worried all my credits would expire and I have a LOT of them. Last question: if I only purchase a perpetual license, would the link between Substance Source and Unreal Studio (UE4) be broken? I like being able to download Substance files directly into Unreal. I want to make sure this feature isn't only for active Substance Source subscribers, but includes those whose subscriptions have ended but who still have credits in their account. Thanks for your time.

Will there be any black friday - cyber monday sales on maintenance renewal like previous years or is it better to just buy Substance Painter / Designer 2020 on steam this year as both softwares have 33% discount right now ?

@AdamJanz3D That won't affect the Source plugin in Unreal.

@laurent.rsp.fernandez There is a Black Friday sale on the website too starting today.

@Kidd Kosmonaut You can still upgrade your perpetual license in your account until October 2020, and you can take advantage of the sale to do so this week.

It's so funny, how fervently companies promise something, how fervently they put down the "haters" who say they won't keep their promises. And how they then everytime almost without fail, actually break their promises.
It's so funny, because it's so sad and depressing that I can't even cry about it anymore. Humanity is lost.
Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:52:31 pm

@Kidd Kosmonaut You can still upgrade your perpetual license in your account until October 2020, and you can take advantage of the sale to do so this week.

Hey Jeremie, sorry that I have to ask again :D I am currently almost a year into my subscription. Do I understand it correctly that if I take the deal today to pay for an annual subscription and stop my currently running monthly subscription, I can still do the perpetual license purchase anytime before Oct 2020?
If that's the case I'd grab the deal :) Thanks!
freelance matte painter and environment concept artist

Hey Jeremie, sorry that I have to ask again :D I am currently almost a year into my subscription. Do I understand it correctly that if I take the deal today to pay for an annual subscription and stop my currently running monthly subscription, I can still do the perpetual license purchase anytime before Oct 2020?
If that's the case I'd grab the deal :) Thanks!

You can get the perpetual licenses for $49 *at the moment you cancel* your current subscription.
If you wan the Black Friday deal for the subscription, you will probably want to cancel your current monthly one, and thus pay the $49 today. Once it's canceled, you can't benefit from it anymore.
Head of Product Management

You guys keep saying this like its something to be excited about but really it just puts me in the same position in a year from now. So lets say I update my maintenance in Oct 2020, this gets me to Oct 2021 with maintenance renewals on my indie subscriptions. Then what??

Then I just have an ageing piece of software that has no way of receiving any updates?

So what are my options then?? To just keep using the ageing software or purchase a subscription to get access to the newest version, or purchase indie license through steam and roll the dice on how long that will last until it eventually goes away too? I am not a huge fan of having to pay for the same thing multiple times. It really feels like you are just turning the software into a gateway to extract MORE money from the user base.

I DONT WANT maintenance on my perpetual license to come to an end. I WANT to keep purchasing maintenance on it like I have been able to in the past when i am ready to upgrade to whatever version is currently available. It makes me extremely unhappy that the option to renew my indie licenses beyond Oct 2020 is being taken away. For what its worth, I most likely WILL renew this software until there is no longer an option to but I will never pay to use it under a subscription plan because there is simply no way for me to get my moneys worth out of it in a month in terms of usage.

It really feels like you are just turning the software into a gateway to extract MORE money from the user base.

It's actually the contrary. The subscription is what allow us to offer more to users, to constantly bring value.
See it this way:
- in 2015 for $19.9 per month you had Painter / Designer / B2M
- end of 2016 we added Source, for the same price
- in 2017 we added SAT, same price
- in 2019 we added Alchemist

This is how we see Substance: keep bringing more value to users, as often as possible.

This year we even reduced the annual price to $219 instead of $239.
And for users who have had perpetual licenses we have been offering a special price for $9.95 for 6 months in the last 3 years. And special deals at Black Friday.

For users who are not interested in Substance, and just need either Painter or Designer, they can purchase it on Steam.

I want to express my profound disappointment with the decision to end maintenance. i have been regularly keeping my licenses up to date, but I am not going to take part on any subscription service. This is the end of the road, my perpetual license will remain as it is, no further investment.

The subscription model only promotes software stagnation, I did escape the horrific adobe cloud and did manage to leave Softimage, and Maya behind. There are alternatives, and any other software I adopted did evolve and changed. Adobe cloud is a horror.

Substance source or alchemists offer nothing to my workflow. B2M is already abandonware (I did used that software a loot).

All said, it is sad, but leaving subscriptions behind has always been a great decision for me.
What a stupid move.

I went on Steam today (https://store.steampowered.com/app/978690/Substance_Designer_2019/), and I got greeted with:

"At the request of the publisher, Substance Designer 2019 is no longer available for sale on Steam."

So does that mean that I can't buy Designer perpetual anymore?

Something that  no one appears to understand, we don't need bundles of little new added apps, we need the software we chose to invest in, to be focused on and improved. The adobe model is just a menu of unattended stuff stagnated for ages. Claiming that things move forward by bringing an app which no one decided if they need or not is not innovation.

I went on Steam today (https://store.steampowered.com/app/978690/Substance_Designer_2019/), and I got greeted with:

"At the request of the publisher, Substance Designer 2019 is no longer available for sale on Steam."

So does that mean that I can't buy Designer perpetual anymore?

The 2019 version is not available, because we released the 2020 version :)

D'oh. My fault.

But I was confused because:
 - 2020 Designer is under Adobe, hence I did not see it when I clicked on the publisher name, and there was no mention of the 2020 version in the text.
 - 2019 Painter is still available.
 - Link on substance3d.com points for both products to the 2019 Steam versions.