Author Topic: Substance Subscription Changes: details & FAQ  (Read 26982 times)

My guess would be no.  The writing's on the wall.  Perpetuals are on the way out the door, and subs are what will be available for future. It's happening everywhere.  Maxon, X-Particles, Substance, the list goes on.  Once a company starts offering subs as an option, they soon switch to ONLY offering them.  (By soon, I mean within a couple of years)

I'm not a pitchforks and torches kind of guy...but I see the pattern here, and it's easy to see what is coming.

It sucks.  But it is what it is.  I've been paying the monthly for about 2 years now in hopes of cross texture painting finally arriving so I could cash out to a perpetual license.   That's not even going to be an option in the near future, so why bother?

At least Substance's pricing is affordable.

I own perpetual licenses for Designer and Painter. I allowed both to lapse a few months ago due to financial constraints. I had planned to renew the maintenance for them in due course but have noticed that I'm unable to do so under licensing, and there's no option to do it via Steam.

Apparently I should be able to renew my maintenance until October 2020. How can I do this when the option is unavailable under License?

As an aside, everything I feared and expected once Allegorithmic was absorbed by Adobe has come to pass and consequently I will be reviewing the competition.

Blender is getting quite interesting in this respect as is Quixel. I should that say as a sessional lecturer, my students are looking at ways to extricate themselves from Adobe's subscription model. I'd estimate that at least 50 percent of them were using free or perpetual license alternatives to Adobe's suite. The next generation is voting with its feet and wallet.   

I already have painter and designer steam license but my maintenance expired, do i have to buy new license through steam since its cheaper than official site $75(just for maintenance)

I am not sure I follow about not grandfathering and retroactively changing the value of the purchase.
If you already own a perpetual license or have a current one-year maintenance, you still have a year to extend that with yet another year of maintenance.

With all due respect Jeremie, how do you feel that is an adequate response to tell someone that their value isn't changing because you can still buy maintenance for another year, effectively saying this is a limited time value because after that next year, you either have to subscribe or buy a whole other license on steam?  And of course if you want Alchemist, that's not an option for you unless you succumb to our pressure to put you on subscription? 
Allegorithmic has earned my respect over the last several years of me using it and the software is excellent so I don't want to take away from that, but your new tactics and policies under Adobe show nothing at all resembling respect for your customers in return.

I would like to double down on mbastudios question. 

If I renew my perpetual maintenance now, it will be valid till 1. november 2020, right ? Will I be able to renew it before it expires, lets say somewhen in october 2020, to get another year of mainentance before you stop selling it?

Yes.
Director of Product Management & COO

I own perpetual licenses for Designer and Painter. I allowed both to lapse a few months ago due to financial constraints. I had planned to renew the maintenance for them in due course but have noticed that I'm unable to do so under licensing, and there's no option to do it via Steam.

Please contact our support at contact@substance3d.com so they can help you.

I already have painter and designer steam license but my maintenance expired, do i have to buy new license through steam since its cheaper than official site $75(just for maintenance)

The new Steam version will be available by the end of the year.
Or you can link you account to our website and purchase it on the website. Both work.

So we were assured that although Adobe purchased your company, that you would remain independent and that perpetual licensing options would remain. Months later, it is exactly as everyone asked, where in fact this is now a subscription only tool. Again, our company does not and will never support subscription rental only software as a business model and will not be subscribing to any Adobe or Autodesk products now or in the future until perpetual options return. Believe it or not, these two companies are not the voice of the entire VFX/CG industry or of professional artists who want the legal right to own their work tools, only paying for future upgrades. You can try to sell me on the why renting is better than owning model all day long, but in the end our decision is final. Thank your service and wonderful products. Best of luck.

Ok thanks Nicolas but if maintenance is still available to perpetual license holders - at least until October 2020 then why am I unable to just simply renew my maintenance through the links under my licensed software, which are now blanked out?

Why do that and why require me to go through hoops to do something that I'm apparently entitled to do regardless, at least for now?

This has been handled poorly - from the announcement to the takeover, the dismissal of concerns, which are now proving to be well-founded, to the handling of the transition to a subscription-only model, and the abandonment of perpetual license holders.

I was planning to renew the maintenance last week until I saw that the option was now unavailable under my licenses. I may yet contact your support however I wonder if ultimately my money wouldn't be better served by investing in something that isn't abandonware, and a company that doesn't attempt to gaslight their users. I'm not terribly impressed.

Thanks however for your response. I'll consider my options now before deciding.

Please contact our support at contact@substance3d.com so they can help you.

Ok thanks Nicolas but if maintenance is still available to perpetual license holders - at least until October 2020 then why am I unable to just simply renew my maintenance through the links under my licensed software, which are now blanked out?

Why do that and why require me to go through hoops to do something that I'm apparently entitled to do regardless, at least for now?

Hi,

We didn't change / modify / disable anything for current licensed users.
If your license says "Renew your maintenance", then you can do it by clicking on the Upgrade button at the top right of the page.

If you have any trouble to do so please write at contact@substance3d.com too they can help you.

Cheers,
Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 06:38:51 pm