Author Topic: Substance Subscription Changes: details & FAQ  (Read 236615 times)

Will maintenance licensing change as well (past October 31, 2020) for users that already have a perpetual license? Let's say a perpetual license holder buys maintenance on October 30, 2020 giving them one year of maintenance. Will that option to renew again still be there every year after?

The way I understand it you will have one shot at updating your maintenance. You can renew your maintenance by October 31 2020 and that will be it, maintenance updates have come to an end at that  point - altho the perpetual will remain active forever.

A: The perpetual licenses you already own remain active.
    For Indie, you will be able to renew your maintenance until October 31, 2020, for $75 per application.
    For Pro, you will be able to renew your maintenance until October 31, 2020, from $490 per application.

I love the Substance products, have now for several years but I think you've made a mistake in aligning yourselves with Adobe.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt at first, I believed your message that you were going to keep the things that people loved about the Substance products, but you've now taken away the one thing that people loved most, and that is a choice in how they use or purchase their software.  You can't even say that perpetual licenses will continue to be available on Steam, just that they are for 'now'.
No matter how great the software is, you've taken the one thing away that was most important.  Respect for your customers.  And you can't even be honest about it which is the worst, saying that you had to do this or raise prices. People can deal with prices, that's something they can plan on and its something they can choose.  But you're eliminating the choice for your customers. 

Note: I tried entering this on the contact page but it doesn't allow me to submit because I "didn't enter the captcha information correctly". There doesn't seem to be any captcha window on that page so I guess you're not hearing much from customers there! Anyhow, my query:

I bought the $219 Indie subscription the other day but just saw this on your site:     

"If you own a perpetual Indie license and wish to move to annual subscription before December 31st 2019, you get a discounted price at $149 (instead of $219)."

I have Indie licences for the whole suite but wasn't offered this - could I get a refund for the extra I paid please?

---
Cheers
Rich

I have only one thing to say. Prepare this to be the best period Substane Painter will ever have on steam, because after that no one will ever touch it.
Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 12:12:08 am

I think you've made a mistake in aligning yourselves with Adobe.

you've now taken away the one thing that people loved most, and that is a choice in how they use or purchase their software. 

No matter how great the software is, you've taken the one thing away that was most important. Respect for your customers. 

Biggest mistake they could have made, selling themselves to some large, faceless corporation that we all struggle to get away from.

Thats what people tend to do though. Some big corporation waggles a pile of money in their face, and they forget all about the good intentions.

Sad for a good piece of software.

Note: I tried entering this on the contact page but it doesn't allow me to submit because I "didn't enter the captcha information correctly".

Just sent them a note myself through the contact page and it worked fine. Regardless - use this e-mail address to send directly:
contact@substance3d.com

Daf

We are not commanded by anybody, except user satisfaction ;)

In your case I believe you purchased an annual subscription, so you paid 12 months in advance.
You cancelled it and purchased perpetual licenses, so:
- the subscription still works up to December 3, as you pre-paid it
- the perpetual starts on the day the subscription ends, so December 3 as well

This means that you have a maintenance, for both subscription and perpetual, up to December 3.
We allow to renew maintenance 1 month in advance, so you will be able to purchase 1 more year of maintenance from November 3.

You don’t need to purchase anything or hurry before October 31, 2018: you can purchase maintenance up to October 31, 2019! So you still have 1 year to purchase maintenance.

I hope it’s clear :)

After reading this thread and discovering that, if I'm reading it correctly that I will no longer be able to purchase maintenance for my perpetual licenses after October 31st 2020, I find the quote "We are not commanded by anybody, except user satisfaction ;)" quite insulting.

I purchased the perpetual license under the assumption that I would be eligible to purchase maintenance for my product and avoid having to use the subscription model. Removing the option to purchase perpetual licenses is reasonable to an extent, but retro-actively changing the value of my purchase is not something I can honestly say leaves me very satisfied.

retro-actively changing the value of my purchase is not something I can honestly say leaves me very satisfied.

Me neither.

If 'user satisfaction' would really be any concern of yours, you would offer multiple options and let the user decide how he wants to license your software. Not sell us something that clearly is just an adaption to Adobe's business model as some kind of advantage for the users.
Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:50:37 pm

If a member of staff could explain the reasoning behind not grandfathering in the ability to purchase maintenance to owners of perpetual licenses that would be much appreciated.

As I see it, as an owner of a perpetual license, should I choose to purchase yearly maintenance for both Substance Designer and Substance Painter I would currently be paying $70 less than a subscription to the substance suite, but, I would not be gaining the benefit of having monthly credits for Substance Source and will have no access to Substance Alchemist.

That seems like a pretty fair trade off for allowing previous owners access to maintenance from my point of view. So, again, if a member of staff would like to shed some more insight onto this decision I would love to hear their reasoning to better understand this decision.

I am not sure I follow about not grandfathering and retroactively changing the value of the purchase.
If you already own a perpetual license or have a current one-year maintenance, you still have a year to extend that with yet another year of maintenance.

If I'm understanding correctly, then after 31st of October 2020 there will be no way to purchase maintenance for a perpetual license and thus no way to obtain updates for them after the 31st of October 2021.

If what I stated above is incorrect then I apologize, however if it is correct, I simply ask why are you removing the option to purchase maintenance after 31st of October 2020?

I would like to double down on mbastudios question. 

If I renew my perpetual maintenance now, it will be valid till 1. november 2020, right ? Will I be able to renew it before it expires, lets say somewhen in october 2020, to get another year of mainentance before you stop selling it?

My guess would be no.  The writing's on the wall.  Perpetuals are on the way out the door, and subs are what will be available for future. It's happening everywhere.  Maxon, X-Particles, Substance, the list goes on.  Once a company starts offering subs as an option, they soon switch to ONLY offering them.  (By soon, I mean within a couple of years)

I'm not a pitchforks and torches kind of guy...but I see the pattern here, and it's easy to see what is coming.

It sucks.  But it is what it is.  I've been paying the monthly for about 2 years now in hopes of cross texture painting finally arriving so I could cash out to a perpetual license.   That's not even going to be an option in the near future, so why bother?

At least Substance's pricing is affordable.

I own perpetual licenses for Designer and Painter. I allowed both to lapse a few months ago due to financial constraints. I had planned to renew the maintenance for them in due course but have noticed that I'm unable to do so under licensing, and there's no option to do it via Steam.

Apparently I should be able to renew my maintenance until October 2020. How can I do this when the option is unavailable under License?

As an aside, everything I feared and expected once Allegorithmic was absorbed by Adobe has come to pass and consequently I will be reviewing the competition.

Blender is getting quite interesting in this respect as is Quixel. I should that say as a sessional lecturer, my students are looking at ways to extricate themselves from Adobe's subscription model. I'd estimate that at least 50 percent of them were using free or perpetual license alternatives to Adobe's suite. The next generation is voting with its feet and wallet.