Author Topic: Substance Subscription Changes: details & FAQ  (Read 225846 times)

Thanks Jeremie, let me pose a nerdy moron question: if I made a buyout from an Indie subscription, let us say on Aug. 15 2020.
Do I need to buy the maintenance the same day ? If not, and I buy it on, let us say on Oct. 17 2020, does that one year of maintenance still end on Aug. 14 2021 or on Oct. 16 2021 ?
Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 08:32:33 pm

Thanks Jeremie, let me pose a nerdy moron question: if I made a buyout from an Indie subscription, let us say on Aug. 15 2020.
Do I need to buy the maintenance the same day ? If not, and I buy it on, let us say on Oct. 17 2020, does that one year of maintenance still end on Aug. 14 2021 or on Oct. 16 2021 ?

You have 1 year maintenance from the moment your purchase, so October 16. You would of course not get updates between August 14 and October 16 though.
Head of Product Management

Thanks Nicolas, but just to be on the same page, I am not planning to buy a new license on Oct.17 2020 but to maintain the license from the buyout. In the scenario above that would be  Aug.15 2020. Still the same result ?
Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 09:22:54 pm

Thanks Nicolas, but just to be on the same page, I am not planning to buy a new license on Oct.17 2020 but to maintain the license from the buyout. In the scenario above that would be  Aug.15 2020. Still the same result ?

When you buy out there is no maintenance included. This means you will have a perpetual license, but you won't get any updates after August 15, 2020.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

I would like to ask, if I buy a $75 maintenance license again on 2020 10/30, my permanent license will be the latest version of 2021 10/30, so how will the new subscription mechanism work? if i  buy new subscription mechanism on 2021 11/1, then after the new subscription expires and I don't subscribe again, can I only use the version before 2020 10/30?

sorry for my bad english
Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 05:50:42 am

What remains unclear is whether a permanent license resulting from an buyout can be prolonged using a $75 maintenance and when this prolongation needs to be ordered.

What remains unclear is whether a permanent license resulting from a buyout can be prolonged using a $75 maintenance and when this prolongation needs to be ordered.

Q: What happens if I own perpetual licenses (under maintenance or expired)?

A: The perpetual licenses you already own remain active.
    For Indie, you will be able to renew your maintenance until October 31, 2020, for $75 per application.

So yes it can be, and you will have until October 31, 2020

I would like to ask, if I buy a $75 maintenance license again on 2020 10/30, my permanent license will be the latest version of 2021 10/30, so how will the new subscription mechanism work? if i  buy new subscription mechanism on 2021 11/1, then after the new subscription expires and I don't subscribe again, can I only use the version before 2020 10/30?

sorry for my bad english

So for the first part, yes if you buy maintenance like in your example, you will ultimately have a perpetual license with the latest updates at the date of 2021 10/31. This you will keep it, regardless of whatever you do after.

If you then apply for the monthly offer, for a few months, then decide to stop, you will keep you Substance Source credits, and you will still get access to your perpetual license (with the latest updates at the date of 2021 10/31)

Does it answer your question?

What remains unclear is whether a permanent license resulting from a buyout can be prolonged using a $75 maintenance and when this prolongation needs to be ordered.

For Indie, you will be able to renew your maintenance until October 31, 2020, for $75 per application.

Thanks I have seen this before. Now here is the little detail I was afraid of: the buyout license formally is neither a license under maintenance nor an expired maintenance of an already permanent license....hope your answer still applies in this case.
Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 02:55:56 pm

to make it short yes it applys, because when you ceonvert your buy out lecense, to a perpetual, it becomes a perpetual ;)

sorry for my bad english

So for the first part, yes if you buy maintenance like in your example, you will ultimately have a perpetual license with the latest updates at the date of 2021 10/31. This you will keep it, regardless of whatever you do after.

If you then apply for the monthly offer, for a few months, then decide to stop, you will keep you Substance Source credits, and you will still get access to your perpetual license (with the latest updates at the date of 2021 10/31)

Does it answer your question?

Yes, thank you!

Can the new subscription mechanism only subscribe to SB or SD? Or only can subscribe together?

If the new user buys the Steam version under the remaining new subscription mechanism, will the version that steam can purchase be the latest?
Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:56:44 am

Woah hold up.  This post (which I found via the email today) is the first I heard of the Rent to Own model going away.  Can you please explain this to me? One of the reasons I have been a huge supporter of Substance was this model.  I have been a subscriber to Substance Indie for over 4 years now and while I never applied my subscription to a perpetual license I had planned on looking into it "at some point" but never completely understood what that meant and how it worked.  Is it right to just change the terms underneath me like this and throw away all that I've paid when I was paying it under the agreement that it could be applied to a license?

Now I have less than a month to try and figure it out before that option is taken away from me?

Very confused.

EDIT My apologies I just realized it says until October 31, 2020 so I have a year.  I was reading the email just before heading to bed.

I would still like to understand more about these changes as it really feels like you are making a substantial change to the terms under which I have a subscription agreement.  I knew Adobe stepping in was going to wreck things sooner or later.  Always does :(

Hey, everything is explained in the first post of this thread: which additional information do you need?

1) So to confirm after Nov 2020 you can no longer convert to a perpetual license to Substance? 
2) Can you get annual maintenence after nov 2020?
3) If sales are stopping on Nov 2019, how do I convert to a perpetual license between Nov 2019 and Nov 2020?
4) How do I actually convert to a perpetual license right now? I can't find it anywhere on your website.
5) When I initially entered into my subscription close to 5 years ago it was billed as a "Rent to Own" subscription where the money I was paying monthly could be applied to a stand alone license.  However looking at your FAQ now it appears that I still need to pay both for the new license AND maintenence which adds up to almsot the same as if I just bought it fresh without ever having subscribed in the first place.  So where did my "rent to own" go?

Honestly I barely ever even use Substance, especially after the royal mess with the Unity plugin but I've maintained a subscription for these 4 1/2 years as a reward to a company that I thought have a user friendly business model in the "rent to own" model.  Now it seems at some point when I wasn't looking that changed so I' mnot sure what I'm rewarding anymore except being fooled.
Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 08:08:57 pm

Sorry but this is still ambiguous to me.  After October 2020 can I or can I not continue to renew an annual maintenance?

Sorry but this is still ambiguous to me.  After October 2020 can I or can I not continue to renew an annual maintenance?

No you can't. There is no ambiguity: you will have until October 31, 2020 to renew it

Just as I was getting through all the drek in my email...

Hi!

Can You please confirm that I understood FAQ correctly considering my options with subscription-to-perpetual:

With Substance - Indie License started on 2018-11-19 (right now 11 Consecutive transactions) at some point between 20 October 2019 and 31 October 2020 I will need to blow my remaining points on Substance Source and can buy-out perpetual license for Designer+Painter for 49USD for both? Or is it some other sum I need to allocate?