Author Topic: Substance Subscription Changes: details & FAQ  (Read 162124 times)

This is a huge relief!!! Then I misunderstood something!
Thank you for the info!

I and many others will soon be able to buy a perpetual license.

Are we Substance users required to use Steam after november 2019, or can we still buy it on substance3d until october 31 2020? If I understand it correctly we can continue to buy it on substance3d until october 31, 2020. I just want to be 110% sure. So sorry if I am asking something you already answered. I guess many of us don't want to use Steam.

This news shocked me. My plan was to convert my subscription into a perpetual license on November 30 since I started my subscription on that month.
Our deal with Allegorithmic was that after 1 year of subscription I can change it to perpetual. Not 10 month,  not half a year, but 1 year. I paid for that 1 year and I don't want to stop it before it runs out.
After the adobe buyout in every forum and every news told us, that nothing is going to be changed, at least for a year. That was the promise. Now I just got the mail that I can not have a perpetual license anymore? This is rediculous and this is the violation of our deal.
So
What I would like to have a perpetual license! And continue to have the latest upgrades and source until November 30 since I paid in advance for it 10 month ago.

No stress: you will have until October 31st 2020 to convert to perpetual (it's more than 12 months)

Hi Vincent.

In November my annual subscription has 9 months left, which I have already paid in advance. If I want to pass it to a perpetual license, do I have to understand? :

a) I can leave it active until November 2020. But I can no longer buy the license directly on the substance3d.com panel and I have to go to a store ( that I have not to used now), that sells apps, at a price that still nobody knows what it will be.

b) I buy the perpetual license on substance3d.com before November 2019 and I lose the software updates, which I have already paid in advance. And I also have to pay two maintenance fees to keep the applications updated for another year.

But No stress.

I and many others will soon be able to buy a perpetual license.

Are we Substance users required to use Steam after november 2019, or can we still buy it on substance3d until october 31 2020? If I understand it correctly we can continue to buy it on substance3d until october 31, 2020. I just want to be 110% sure. So sorry if I am asking something you already answered. I guess many of us don't want to use Steam.

You will be able to use your software the same way: if you buy it via the official channel, you can use it without Steam.

I had planned on buying a perpetual license after the one year mark. Something in the language of the post sounded like people who have a perpetual and move to subscription are "converting" their license. If I buy a perpetual license, but then say I want to subscribe later to get access to Substance Alchemist, would I lose the perpetual license and no longer have access to Painter and Designer once I unsubscribe?

This news shocked me. My plan was to convert my subscription into a perpetual license on November 30 since I started my subscription on that month.
Our deal with Allegorithmic was that after 1 year of subscription I can change it to perpetual. Not 10 month,  not half a year, but 1 year. I paid for that 1 year and I don't want to stop it before it runs out.
After the adobe buyout in every forum and every news told us, that nothing is going to be changed, at least for a year. That was the promise. Now I just got the mail that I can not have a perpetual license anymore? This is rediculous and this is the violation of our deal.
So
What I would like to have a perpetual license! And continue to have the latest upgrades and source until November 30 since I paid in advance for it 10 month ago.

No stress: you will have until October 31st 2020 to convert to perpetual (it's more than 12 months)

Hi Vincent.

In November my annual subscription has 9 months left, which I have already paid in advance. If I want to pass it to a perpetual license, do I have to understand? :

a) I can leave it active until November 2020. But I can no longer buy the license directly on the substance3d.com panel and I have to go to a store ( that I have not to used now), that sells apps, at a price that still nobody knows what it will be.

b) I buy the perpetual license on substance3d.com before November 2019 and I lose the software updates, which I have already paid in advance. And I also have to pay two maintenance fees to keep the applications updated for another year.

But No stress.

You are already client: nothing is changing for you until October 31st, 2020. until this date, and as long as you have been 12 months in a row in the subscription model, you have the option to buy a perpetual license. you can also buy maintenance at the same time.

So let's say you decide to convert to perpetual on October 31st, 2020 and buy maintenance at the same time you have updates until 31st October 2021.

Does it answer your question ?

I had planned on buying a perpetual license after the one year mark. Something in the language of the post sounded like people who have a perpetual and move to subscription are "converting" their license. If I buy a perpetual license, but then say I want to subscribe later to get access to Substance Alchemist, would I lose the perpetual license and no longer have access to Painter and Designer once I unsubscribe?

the perpetual licenses you already own are yours, and they remain perpetual. you won't lose them if you decide to subscribe to our monthly plan.

For subscription will you have early cancelation charges like Adobe's All Apps plan?

For subscription will you have early cancelation charges like Adobe's All Apps plan?

There is no cancelation charges and no commitment, you cancel whenever you want :)
Head of Product Management

Awesome

I'm looking forward to seeing what the future upgrades are like.

Maybe a native bridge from Painter to Mayas' Arnold workflow, and that VR version of Painter.

You guys need to update the documentation on the Arnold's Workflow. I realize it's simple, but it's unprofessional to have outdated documentation while assuming everyone understands the proper workflow.

Thanks Again

Woah hold up.  This post (which I found via the email today) is the first I heard of the Rent to Own model going away.  Can you please explain this to me? One of the reasons I have been a huge supporter of Substance was this model.  I have been a subscriber to Substance Indie for over 4 years now and while I never applied my subscription to a perpetual license I had planned on looking into it "at some point" but never completely understood what that meant and how it worked.  Is it right to just change the terms underneath me like this and throw away all that I've paid when I was paying it under the agreement that it could be applied to a license?

Now I have less than a month to try and figure it out before that option is taken away from me?

Very confused.

EDIT My apologies I just realized it says until October 31, 2020 so I have a year.  I was reading the email just before heading to bed.

I would still like to understand more about these changes as it really feels like you are making a substantial change to the terms under which I have a subscription agreement.  I knew Adobe stepping in was going to wreck things sooner or later.  Always does :(
Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:06:27 am

Woah hold up.  This post (which I found via the email today) is the first I heard of the Rent to Own model going away.  Can you please explain this to me? One of the reasons I have been a huge supporter of Substance was this model.  I have been a subscriber to Substance Indie for over 4 years now and while I never applied my subscription to a perpetual license I had planned on looking into it "at some point" but never completely understood what that meant and how it worked.  Is it right to just change the terms underneath me like this and throw away all that I've paid when I was paying it under the agreement that it could be applied to a license?

Now I have less than a month to try and figure it out before that option is taken away from me?

Very confused.

EDIT My apologies I just realized it says until October 31, 2020 so I have a year.  I was reading the email just before heading to bed.

I would still like to understand more about these changes as it really feels like you are making a substantial change to the terms under which I have a subscription agreement.  I knew Adobe stepping in was going to wreck things sooner or later.  Always does :(

Hey, everything is explained in the first post of this thread: which additional information do you need?

Just to make sure I understand correctly.

I have until Oct 31 2020 (13 months from today) to switch my sub to a perpetual license. Then I also have to purchase updates to said perpetual license before that date.

Can I purchase more than one year of updates at that time, and, Why are you not including Substance Alchemist as part of the Perpetual licenses? I really liked the flexibility of your old pricing options  :<

"No stress: you will have until October 31st 2020 to convert to perpetual (it's more than 12 months)"

From only Steam?
"Starting November 2019, perpetual licenses will not be sold through the substance3D.com website anymore. You can still purchase perpetual Indie licenses for Substance Painter and Substance Designer through Steam"

So

Hi Vincent.

But No stress.

You are already client: nothing is changing for you until October 31st, 2020. until this date, and as long as you have been 12 months in a row in the subscription model, you have the option to buy a perpetual license. you can also buy maintenance at the same time.

So let's say you decide to convert to perpetual on October 31st, 2020 and buy maintenance at the same time you have updates until 31st October 2021.

Does it answer your question ?

Hi Vincent. Thank you for your answers and the time spent.

In 10 months from now 02/October/2019, where do I have to redeem / buy my perpetual license ?, in a) substance3d.com/user/*******/live (the subscription tab). b) Another online store that sells apps ?.

Another extra question. Are current perpetual licenses going to be able to buy updates in the future or are they only going to have, only now, the opportunity to buy maintenance for one year?
Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 10:24:08 am