Author Topic: B2M3 Diffuse export and specular  (Read 11184 times)

Hi,

when exporting "Basecolor" and "Diffuse", they look 100% the same.
I thought "Basecolor" = Albedo = the map I create with "cancel highlights+shadows"
and "Diffuse" = the original image... but this is not the case.

How to get "Specular" output working? It´s "on", but specular map is just full grey...
Is this output meant "traditional specular" or PBR-only?

Cheers!

Hi,

when exporting "Basecolor" and "Diffuse", they look 100% the same.
I thought "Basecolor" = Albedo = the map I create with "cancel highlights+shadows"
and "Diffuse" = the original image... but this is not the case.

How to get "Specular" output working? It´s "on", but specular map is just full grey...
Is this output meant "traditional specular" or PBR-only?

Cheers!

Hi Elowan,

This can be confusing in how the outputs work. The diffuse and base color should look similar in terms of albedo values i.e. lighting removed. The light cancelation features work on both map types. However, if you start to introduce metal reflectance values to the specular map, the diffuse texture will then show black where these metal areas are indicated.

For the specular, you need to have the metallic map enabled. By default, for spec/gloss you will see the 4% reflectance value for dielectrics. This is the flat grey that you see. You need go to the Metal | Specular controls and tell B2M where the metal areas are indicated by keying the color value. You can then change the Metal Color Replacement Value and Intensity in the Diffuse | Basecolor. In the attached image, you can see how I worked with this input image for both metal/rough and spec/gloss. In the Diffuse, the balck areas are the metal as metal has no color. But, the color "metal reflectance values" are then placed in the specular.

The issue we have currently is that you can't alter the 4% value for dielectrics. This will work for most materials, but there are exceptions were you need to change this. This has been reported to the developers.

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Ok, I see - but when I have just a rock (so nothing I could set to "metal value")  I get no specular map out of B2M3.

But B2M2 gives an specular output (even it´s not a "specular PBR" one).

Can we have such a "traditional specular map output" in B2M3, too?
Add a cavity map, also and there will be nothing missing and no need to switch
to B2M2 or PS or GIMP, for that matter!

Cheers!

Ok, I see - but when I have just a rock (so nothing I could set to "metal value")  I get no specular map out of B2M3.

But B2M2 gives an specular output (even it´s not a "specular PBR" one).

Can we have such a "traditional specular map output" in B2M3, too?
Add a cavity map, also and there will be nothing missing and no need to switch
to B2M2 or PS or GIMP, for that matter!

Cheers!

Hi,

Well, in terms of PBR, the specular map is only denoting that it's 4% reflective, which for a rock is correct. The variance in reflection comes from the glossiness map which controls how the light is scattered i.e. rough or smooth. The combination of the specular map (reflectance value) and the glossiness (roughness) replaces a traditional specular map. We will add a control to change the 4% to accommodate for various reflectance values.

We do not have plans to add traditional map outputs to B2M3. It is for PBR creation and B2M2 will be for traditional maps. 

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Ah, ok - thanks for claryfiying this  :)

Ah, ok - thanks for claryfiying this  :)

Sure, no problem : ) We have more to do with B2M 2 and 3 and how we will work with different PBR models.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

AWESOME

"Awesome" would be a B2M that gives also "traditional" specular and a Cavity map... hehehe  ;D

But ok - there is also B2M2 for generating some "traditional" specular.
Not everybody uses the PBR - maps/workflow, many many people still demand such "traditional" textures... and there is a great tool for that one specular map, B2M3 is missing - B2M2

Cheers!

But yeah - Wes does awesome support, that´s fact!

"Awesome" would be a B2M that gives also "traditional" specular and a Cavity map... hehehe  ;D

But ok - there is also B2M2 for generating some "traditional" specular.
Not everybody uses the PBR - maps/workflow, many many people still demand such "traditional" textures... and there is a great tool for that one specular map, B2M3 is missing - B2M2

Cheers!

But yeah - Wes does awesome support, that´s fact!

Thanks so much : ) Its great to hear that I'm helping.

Yeah, I think the transition for B2M2 and 3 is confusing. However, I think we are moving into a 2 product solution (PBR and non PBR) as trying to handle all options in a single tool is problematic.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

We do not have plans to add traditional map outputs to B2M3. It is for PBR creation and B2M2 will be for traditional maps. 

I've been aware of B2M for quite some time, and recently bought the Indie pack (SD + SP + B2M3).

Are you saying I need to buy B2M2 if I want to output maps that are not intended for Substance Painter (or Designer)?  I have other applications that can greatly benefit from "traditional" outputs.

I assumed B2M3 was a newer version of the B2M product, not a different application, and that it would do everything that B2M2 did, plus the new PBR maps.

It never even occurred to me to look for fine print.
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

I've been aware of B2M for quite some time, and recently bought the Indie pack (SD + SP + B2M3).

Are you saying I need to buy B2M2 if I want to output maps that are not intended for Substance Painter (or Designer)?  I have other applications that can greatly benefit from "traditional" outputs.

I assumed B2M3 was a newer version of the B2M product, not a different application, and that it would do everything that B2M2 did, plus the new PBR maps.

It never even occurred to me to look for fine print.

Hi,

With B2M3, you will get B2M2 as well. You don't need to make a separate purchase. I know its confusing : ) We are working to make this more clear.

We will have a version for PBR (B2M3) and Non PBR(B2M2). Its very problematic to try and merge both versions, so we are going to supply them as separate files. You definitely don't need to buy anything else. We will give you B2M2 since you are a B2M3 owner.

I need to check with sales on how they are doing this. I'm not sure if B2M2 will appear in accounts yet. I will get clarification and post back.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi,

I have clarification on B2M2 for B2M3 owners.

For people who purchase it on the Unity Asset Store, B2M2 is included in the package.
For people purchasing it on our website, B2M2 is in their account.
For people who purchased it on Steam, they need to link their account with our website and they can get B2M2.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Wes,

I bought the Indie pack in October.
So shouldn't I see B2M2 in my account?

Also... where and how do I download B2M2?
On your download page, all I see is B2M3, I don't see "2".
Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:01:04 am
Hobbyist
----------
Common "Help" suggestions:
- LOG FILE tips - https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,22451.0.html
- LICENSING issues https://www.allegorithmic.com/contact
- ATTACH files and pictures to posts: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,23670.0.html

Wes,

I bought the Indie pack in October.
So shouldn't I see B2M2 in my account?

Also... where and how do I download B2M2?
On your download page, all I see is B2M3, I don't see "2".

Hi,

The B2M2 access will go live next week and you will see it in your account. I'm not sure of the exact day just yet. You will be able to download B2M2 directly from your account.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com