Author Topic: 3D view mesh is black  (Read 2945 times)

Hi,

I've gotten into a problem regarding substance designer, where the mesh in 3D view is black. I can see the environment just fine, but both custom and SD base meshes are black.

I've tried reseting every tab in the 3D view, I've updated gpu drivers, I've deleted SD and installed it again, rebooted the computer, but nothing seem to work.

It was working fine early on yesterday, and then i adjusted the lighting (shift + right click), and suddenly it all went black. Googled the problem, but nothing.

Any suggestions?

Specs:
I7 Skylake i6700k 4.0GHz
Asus Rog Poseidon 980gtx 6gb
64GB ram

Hi,

It's probably a problem with the position of your lights.
Did you try to reset your light and your scene ?
Go to your 3D view, 'lights' and click on 'reset'. 
Do the same thing in 'scene'.

If you still have the same issue, we will investigate ;)

QA Analyst

Hey, did you double check that the material model you are using is corresponding to your graph (in the 3d view Materials/Default definition)
When you change, don't forget to do right-click on the graph/ view outputs in 3d view)

Yes, I've done all of what both of you are saying above!
It is still black!

I do suspect that it has something to do with the light, all tho if a reset does not fix it, I am out of options for troubleshooting.

Just in case, we released the 5.6.1: maybe try to update to see if it fixes your issue.

will try that when I get the chance, and let you know!

Hi

I don't know whether I faced the similar issue. Suddenly 3D mesh went black, no light information. I found the fix, In Material Channels Ambient Occlusion got checked (no nodes were attached to the (AO)output file). In 3d View Materials > Default > Channel > (uncheck)Ambient Occlusion.

regards
j

I know this is old, but I ran into this and have some additional information.  Mine went black when using an OBJ rather than FBX in the viewport.  Some of my OBJ's have worked, some didn't.  All were fairly high-poly (160,000 tri's).  The same exact model as an FBX worked correctly. 

The important piece I believe is the normals.  I did not export per-vertex normals with the obj files, just smoothing groups (but this doesn't explain why some worked and some did not).

I also have experienced this when a color node somewhere within the graph is blended with a greyscale l8 node, but this is self explanatory and one of the first things I'd think one would check when experiencing this.

tl;dr
Use FBX models with exported per-vertex normals for most consistent results in the 3D view.

Hi

I don't know whether I faced the similar issue. Suddenly 3D mesh went black, no light information. I found the fix, In Material Channels Ambient Occlusion got checked (no nodes were attached to the (AO)output file). In 3d View Materials > Default > Channel > (uncheck)Ambient Occlusion.

regards
j

AhhHhhH yess!  Thank you Jackye!