Author Topic: Upgrade to perpetual license possible if I just buy annual now? Source access?  (Read 133 times)

Hello,

I'm thinking of buying the suite. Since I'm not fond of subscription models I was thinking of buying perpetual licenses, however since that doesn't give me source access I figured I could use the alternative 12 month subscription model that allows me to upgrade to perpetual upon cancelling instead.

Now, would be buying an annual license count as "12 consecutive months" or do those months need to pass first?
So, could I buy an annual license, then immediately cancel to upgrade to perpetual?
And if so, will I remain having Source access for the 12 months I paid for?

Basically, I want to have a perpetual license but also access to Source, and I'm looking for the cheapest way for now.

P.S.: Is there any word on licensing options in the future due to the Adobe acquirement? I know Allgeorithmic has clarified in the past that they get a good deal of self management but it would be sad if the option for perpetual just gets removed suddenly without warning.

or do those months need to pass first?

Yes (AFAIK) - the upgrade will be available at the end of the 12 month period. If you want source you can purchase single month's subscriptions to get 30 Source points as needed - these subscription months would be in addition to the perpetual - that license will be unaffected.

perpetual just gets removed suddenly without warning

There will be ample warning I'm sure.
James Baxter!

or do those months need to pass first?

Yes (AFAIK) - the upgrade will be available at the end of the 12 month period. If you want source you can purchase single month's subscriptions to get 30 Source points as needed - these subscription months would be in addition to the perpetual - that license will be unaffected.

perpetual just gets removed suddenly without warning

There will be ample warning I'm sure.

But if the months need to pass first and there will be a 3 months notice after I subscribed for 6, I'd still be out of luck. :/
If I'd manage to pass all 12 months and then get perpetual that would be fine for me, but given that this isn't assured I'd rather not try my luck like that.

Allegorithmic has maintained that the transition, to Adobe World, for license holders would be as painless and as full of options as they can get away with. If you are in the middle of your perpetual cycle and the axe falls (Adobe ends perpetual licenses) I'm sure that there will be a more than reasonable "deal(s)" to either finalize the perpetual or transition to Adobe Cloud or what ever subscription model they adopt.

All that said - it's still a roll of the dice as to what is really going to happen. My money is on the Allegorithmic guys giving everyone a fair deal in the end, tho. You're going to have to make a decision one way or the other, then wait and see how it unfolds ... we are all in the same boat to some degree. ;)

Good luck!
James Baxter!