Author Topic: Normal map, output inversion type  (Read 417 times)

HI,
I have a question. When I made a SBSAR in Substance Designer, I chose normal as OpenGL, and I used constant value lock to output SBSAR material balls.

When I create a new project in Substance Painter, normal map format selects OpenGL. I'm importing my OpenGL sbsar material ball

After testing,
On the normal of the color space,
If I choose auto, the output normal map will be reversed to become the normal of DX
If I choose DX, the normal output will also reverse to DX
If I choose OpenGL, the normal output is correct, OpenGL
I want to figure out why auto and DX reversed the normal?

My other question is, if I download a material sphere from substance source and use it in SP, how do I output it in SP and make sure that its normal is OpenGL?

Super big thanks!

DX reversed the normal because that is what it does. DirectX normals are the opposite of OpenGL as some systems expect that.  Unreal has a "invert green channel" to allow import of either, in Blender, you have to add nodes to invert the channel if you import a DirectX normal instead of an OpenGL one.

DX reversed the normal because that is what it does. DirectX normals are the opposite of OpenGL as some systems expect that.  Unreal has a "invert green channel" to allow import of either, in Blender, you have to add nodes to invert the channel if you import a DirectX normal instead of an OpenGL one.

Thank you for your answer. I mean, after I get a new texture ball, I think I have to know whether the normal line of this texture ball is DX or OPENGL!Because of this, I can correctly select the type of normal in the SP's color space.
And just like my test results,
I want to find a way, whether I load a normal map into SP, or a SBSAR into SP, I want a way to make sure that the map I output is OPENGL

Just to open up your project settings, (Edit->Project configuration), and set the type of normal map to OGL or DX map. Don't forget as well, you can add a specific output map to do both, using the converted maps section on texture output. As I have said, this is what I do, so I always have both on hand if required.