Author Topic: I need a MatFX building Tutorial  (Read 2322 times)

Hi guys,
has anybody successfully made a custom MatFX substance effect for painter. I cannot figure out, how to go about making one. When I open one in designer, it doesn't let me view the graph as there isn't a .sbs file, just the compiled version. And some have extra alpha inputs and outputs. Don't know if and when I need those as some of the matfx come without them. A tutorial on how to make a matfx and the ins and outs of when you need extra alpha inputs and outputs and what they do and how you hook them up would help a lot. As it is right now I'm lost.

Hi guys,
has anybody successfully made a custom MatFX substance effect for painter. I cannot figure out, how to go about making one. When I open one in designer, it doesn't let me view the graph as there isn't a .sbs file, just the compiled version. And some have extra alpha inputs and outputs. Don't know if and when I need those as some of the matfx come without them. A tutorial on how to make a matfx and the ins and outs of when you need extra alpha inputs and outputs and what they do and how you hook them up would help a lot. As it is right now I'm lost.

Hi,

I will be working on a matfx video soon. It's actually more simple than the mask generator effects as you don't have to worry about blending modes for the mask. You just need to have the outputs you want to effect the layer and any inputs from the SP layer stack you want to blend into your substance.

The alphas in the matfx are used to process the alpha channel separately from the RGB. The issue is that SP handles alpha on a greyscale channel differently than SD. In SD, the greyscale channel such as roughness doesn't have alpha. In SP, you can paint a greyscale channel with alpha. For example, if you create a new layer and start painting roughness. If there is not a fill layer giving value to roughness (filling the texture with a value) then the channel will have transparency.

So, you only need the alpha if you want to specifically process the RGB and not the alpha. An example I got from the devs would be a blur effect that blurs RGB. So you would have a graph connection as follows...

basecolor input > remove alpha > blur RGB > basecolor output

then, you need to handle the alpha.

basecolor alpha input > basecolor alpha output ( this is what you see in the matfx_rust).

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi guys,

Hi,

I will be working on a matfx video soon. It's actually more simple than the mask generator effects as you don't have to worry about blending modes for the mask. You just need to have the outputs you want to effect the layer and any inputs from the SP layer stack you want to blend into your substance.

The alphas in the matfx are used to process the alpha channel separately from the RGB. The issue is that SP handles alpha on a greyscale channel differently than SD. In SD, the greyscale channel such as roughness doesn't have alpha. In SP, you can paint a greyscale channel with alpha. For example, if you create a new layer and start painting roughness. If there is not a fill layer giving value to roughness (filling the texture with a value) then the channel will have transparency.

So, you only need the alpha if you want to specifically process the RGB and not the alpha. An example I got from the devs would be a blur effect that blurs RGB. So you would have a graph connection as follows...

basecolor input > remove alpha > blur RGB > basecolor output

then, you need to handle the alpha.

basecolor alpha input > basecolor alpha output ( this is what you see in the matfx_rust).

Cheers,

Wes

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it I have to do something like in my attached image right?. If so, do I have to have color inputs also for the height, roughness and metallick, even though they should be greyscale? Also do I need to leave the usage of my outputs empty like in the mask fx example, or do I ned to put it to rgba?

anyway, I am looking forward to that tutorial. Just anxious to get started building stuff.