Author Topic: Curvature map baking with gray lines  (Read 5815 times)

I have an issue I’ve been struggling to solve. When I bake my high poly onto my low poly, it adds all of these gray lines onto the curvature map. It all happens where the mesh polygon lines are. I’ve smoothed the low poly and smoothed the high poly. An image of the issue is attached along with the low poly and high poly models for testing can be downloaded here https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/167KIqDH8XBUXe6g5SRSM3lIDMck54f-Q

I’m sure I’ve just done something wrong so any help is appreciated! Thank you.

Someone helped me solve the issue by disabling UV seams in the curvature in substance.

yeah its possible it has to do with your uv map. If all those lines are where your seams are at I would really suggest having another go at a cleaner UV unwrap if possible.
Also I'm just guessing based on your geo, but if you pan on subdiving this mesh on rendertime (not game-res) you can try exporting an already subdivided and smoothed mesh to Painter (make sure uvs smooth and subdivide too) as it will make baking much nicer (and the result will actually closer to your render mesh)

The weird thing about this is that the lines aren’t showing up where the UV’s seams are. I placed the UV’s seams myself in nice clean spots on the back of the mesh (this is the front) so it’s strange that unchecking UV seams fixes it, since the seams aren’t actually causing the issue. And this is a game mesh.

The weird thing about this is that the lines aren’t showing up where the UV’s seams are. I placed the UV’s seams myself in nice clean spots on the back of the mesh (this is the front) so it’s strange that unchecking UV seams fixes it, since the seams aren’t actually causing the issue. And this is a game mesh.

Hmm you can try having a look at your mesh itself? hard edges can give weird bugs like this too. Possibly running a mesh cleanup on maya to look for unconnected faces.
 I would soften all edges (in maya or such) and only harden the edges that are your UV shell seams. That seems to be a trick people like doing for game res stuff.

Also make sure your export retains normal information too

I am also having this same problem and need help! Wicked seams where there is no curve and no UV border.
I have tried a million things.
I'm coming from Cinema4D.
I made sure all the edge hardnesses were correct ("phong tag" in c4d). I optimized the mesh. I tried fbx or OBJ, triangulating or not. Re-laying out UVs after optimizing. It always comes out with problems. The curvature baker in Painter seems worse or different than the baker in Designer (!), but I don't know what the difference is.
turning off seams: it takes some of the lines away, but it also takes away some of the lines that are supposed to be there (hard edges that ARE along a UV border now have no curvature).