Author Topic: How can I import the FBX format while maintaining the mesh?  (Read 927 times)

Hello!
How can I import the FBX format while maintaining the mesh?
I do not want to get triangles!
Or how can I save the OBJ format but so that my materials are saved?

No idea what the actual question is here. What do you mean by 'maintain the mesh'?

Painter will always triangulate the mesh internally, but you will still have the original mesh you imported, it will not be overwritten. Did you lose the original mesh and want to export it from Painter?

how can I save the OBJ format but so that my materials are saved?

What materials? Are you talking about Painter materials/ exported textures, or materials assigned in an external application?

Describe in more detail what you are doing, please. If there is some visible problem with an imported mesh, post screenshots.
Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 11:18:33 am

Hello!
How can I import the FBX format while maintaining the mesh?
I do not want to get triangles!
Or how can I save the OBJ format but so that my materials are saved?

You always work with two copies... Quads when you're working on geo, and Tris for when you move the mesh into another application for baking, texturing, and rendering. You should not depend on an application to convert your mesh for you because if Painter triangulates your mesh in a different way and you bake your maps, but then apply those to your mesh and import your low poly into another mesh that does the triangulation another way from Painter you'll get problems.

The easiest approach is to always have a tri modifier.