Author Topic: Substance Painter textures rendered in Maya Arnold don't look as expected  (Read 371 times)

Hi there,

I'm struggling two days already to make my textures from Substance render the same in Arnold (I understand it'll not be 100% match). The problem is bump, which looks nothing like in Substance. I tried to use Normal as a bump and then Height as a bump (aiStandartSurface shader). In general Normal gives harsh and different pattern result in scratches and dots keeping rust bump and pattern more less ok, Height does vise versa - too light in scratches and dots, no bump at all in rust. Here are the details:
What I tried already and it didn't help:
1. To use Normal map as a bump ( use as Tangent Space Normals on, Flip R, Flip G off) (screenshot), then:

- Changed color space of Normal to Raw and back to sRGB, turned alpha is luminance on/off
- Changed bump2d node to aiNormalMap

- Changed color space of BaseColor to Raw as someone suggested in related topic
2. To use Height as a bump (plug directly into shader's bump without any changes) (screenshot), then:
- Changed color space of Normal to Raw and back to sRGB, turned alpha is luminance on/off
3. Updated Maya (to 2018.6) and Arnold (to 3.3.0)
4. Exported higher resolution textures from Substance - 8k 16 bit instead of 4k 8 bit

Nodes are connected to the shader as direct plug in, settings:
BaseColor - sRGB
Roughness - Raw, alpha is luminance
Metalness - Raw, alpha is luminance
Normal/Height - as described above

Hope you, guys, can help, I'm quite frustrated already and have no more ideas what I can do with this.

My workflow is a little different.  Since with arnold you are not rendering for realtime,  I use height as displacement.   It's a little slower to render but the end product is nicer.   Maybe it will work for you.  cheers. 

Decent example workflow.  This is the 2nd part with rendering:  https://youtu.be/Po6vW9ANmu0

It is great to refresh the site with the progression of time so the clients can discover new stuff here about your administrations. It is an extraordinary activity for the general population use to come here and need to think about Teamviewer coupon code Article.

My workflow is a little different.  Since with arnold you are not rendering for realtime,  I use height as displacement.   It's a little slower to render but the end product is nicer.   Maybe it will work for you.  cheers. 

Decent example workflow.  This is the 2nd part with rendering:  https://youtu.be/Po6vW9ANmu0

Thank you!
I tried to connect height as displacement as you show in your video and, basically, it gives the same result as height plugged in as a bump - it just starts with a higher scale bump (as it happens with the leaf veins in your video), which confirms, that rust height isn't displayed at all.