Author Topic: Substance in Unity 2.3.4 Update  (Read 2833 times)

Hello Everyone,

We have updated the Unity plugin on the asset store to version 2.3.4. Please see the release notes here.
https://docs.substance3d.com/display/integrations/Unity+2.3.4

Known issues:

Using the plugin with Unity 2019.2 will produce the following error:

InspectorSubstanceImporter.OnInspectorGUI must call ApplyRevertGUI to avoid unexpected behavior.
UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImporterEditor:OnDisable()
Substance.Editor.InspectorSubstanceImporter:OnDisable()

This error can be cleared and will not affect the functionality of the plugin

Substance Materials breaking

Substance materials that contain a custom output with a blank usage will break on import. Also, Substance materials containing duplicate usages will break.
Older sbsar files from GameTextures.com are not currently compatible with the Substance in Unity plugin. These materials which contain unsupported Usage outputs are breaking. Before using the plugin, be sure to make a backup of your project.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Could you clarify the Known Issue related to asset bundles? Does this mean that if one of my models is part of an asset bundle, and that model uses a substance-based material, the material's texture won't be generated?

Could you clarify the Known Issue related to asset bundles? Does this mean that if one of my models is part of an asset bundle, and that model uses a substance-based material, the material's texture won't be generated?

Hi,

Is the substance included in the asset bundle? If so, I don't think it will work as of 2.3.4. We are working on Asset Bundles but it's taking quite a lot of time. I'm sorry for the delay on this.

We are working on this for our 2.4 release

Cheers,
Wes

Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 11:28:02 pm

I actually removed the Substance plugin from my project back in December, as there were issues with the plugin at the time that were blocking me from moving forward. But I've been keeping an eye on the plugin development to determine when it has reached a sufficiently stable state to begin reintroducing into my game. (For now, I'm just exporting textures via Substance Designer instead of using the plugin.) So, with the new plugin release I was considering installing the plugin to see how things went. But I use asset bundles heavily, on objects that would ideally be using substance materials. So if that's not supported yet, I'll have to keep waiting for a future update. Thanks for confirming that it's in the works for 2.4.

I actually removed the Substance plugin from my project back in December, as there were issues with the plugin at the time that were blocking me from moving forward. But I've been keeping an eye on the plugin development to determine when it has reached a sufficiently stable state to begin reintroducing into my game. (For now, I'm just exporting textures via Substance Designer instead of using the plugin.) So, with the new plugin release I was considering installing the plugin to see how things went. But I use asset bundles heavily, on objects that would ideally be using substance materials. So if that's not supported yet, I'll have to keep waiting for a future update. Thanks for confirming that it's in the works for 2.4.

Would you be interested in joining our private beta for Unity? We would love to get your feedback on asset bundles.

Cheers,
Wes

Today tested the latest update and I was surprised, that bug with changing line ending on every text file in the project is still not fixed. After making changes to graphs all prefabs and scenes in the project are saved with different line endings even if there are no changes. We reported that bug almost a year ago.

We are using text serialization in the project because its very useful for version control.

Today tested the latest update and I was surprised, that bug with changing line ending on every text file in the project is still not fixed. After making changes to graphs all prefabs and scenes in the project are saved with different line endings even if there are no changes. We reported that bug almost a year ago.

We are using text serialization in the project because its very useful for version control.

I spoke to the devs on this. Questions to ask:

1. What platform is used (MAC, Windows,...)

2. Do the graph changes involve graph name change? If yes; then we do update the scene & prefab file(s) that references this graph, but ONLY these specific scene & prefabs file(s). Not all of them. If no: we don't change those files.

3. What Unity version?

Cheers,
Wes

2. Do the graph changes involve graph name change? If yes; then we do update the scene & prefab file(s) that references this graph, but ONLY these specific scene & prefabs file(s). Not all of them. If no: we don't change those files.

3. What Unity version?

Cheers,
Wes
Windows 10, Unity 2018.4.7f1

Yes, it happens after graph name change. In all of these files line endings change and there are no other changes. Then when we change them and re-save by unity they return to previous line endings.

3. What Unity version?

Cheers,
Wes
Windows 10, Unity 2018.4.7f1

Yes, it happens after graph name change. In all of these files line endings change and there are no other changes. Then when we change them and re-save by unity they return to previous line endings.

Thank you for this information. We are looking into this. I will report back with more info.

Cheers,
Wes

got trouble with last version it's possible to found old version

got trouble with last version it's possible to found old version

Hi,

We don't provide assets to older versions on the asset store. Please let me know what issues you are having with the 2.3.4 version and I can help.

Cheers,
Wes