Author Topic: Unity 4k .sbsar slow and in more complicated graphs - crashes  (Read 24260 times)

Hi there,

I am trying to debug slowness and crashing in unity with a .sbsar and the substance plugin. I have a simple substance designer graph that I save out as a .sbsar. I import this to unity, adjust resolution to 4k, expose all outputs and connect the outputs to the HDRP shader. If I then make any change to the substance graph object, in this case to the exposed lightness slider, when I click on something else Unity tells me to hold on for quite some time and in more complicated graphs, then crashes.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong here? This seems quite a simple graph to be causing issues, even at 4k?

Substance designer 2019.1.2.
Unity 2019.1.6f1
Substance plugin 2.3.4
Windows 10
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Thanks for your time.

James

Hi there,

I am trying to debug slowness and crashing in unity with a .sbsar and the substance plugin. I have a simple substance designer graph that I save out as a .sbsar. I import this to unity, adjust resolution to 4k, expose all outputs and connect the outputs to the HDRP shader. If I then make any change to the substance graph object, in this case to the exposed lightness slider, when I click on something else Unity tells me to hold on for quite some time and in more complicated graphs, then crashes.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong here? This seems quite a simple graph to be causing issues, even at 4k?

Substance designer 2019.1.2.
Unity 2019.1.6f1
Substance plugin 2.3.4
Windows 10
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti

Thanks for your time.

James

HI James,

Can you also post the sbs file? Indeed it does look very simple but the issue is that the 4K output is processed using the Substance CPU engine. We don't support the Substance GPU engine in Unity yet. The CPU compute on 4K will take a lot of time. Looking at the graph you have, I would not recommend using 4K for uniform values. However, I think this is just a test is that correct?

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the reply. That explains the difference between the graphs in substance designer and unity!

It was just a test where I kept stripping things out one at a time hoping to see if there was a particular cause of slowness at 4k. I have attached the .sbs.

Can I send you a more complicated sbs from work for your thoughts on current unity suitability?

Thanks

James

Hi Wes,

Thanks for the reply. That explains the difference between the graphs in substance designer and unity!

It was just a test where I kept stripping things out one at a time hoping to see if there was a particular cause of slowness at 4k. I have attached the .sbs.

Can I send you a more complicated sbs from work for your thoughts on current unity suitability?

Thanks

James

Hi James,

Yes, please send us a more complicated Substance. I will be happy to take a look.

Cheers,
Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja