Author Topic: Smart Auto Tile Artifacts 8K - SD 2019.2.0  (Read 4957 times)

Hello :)

I ran across some little issues with the Smart Auto Tile node while trying to tile a scan :

Lines appears on texture edges when tiling with a Smart Auto Tile at 8k. This doesn't happend at 4k or less.
I Did put 8192 in the Crop > Input Size.

Here are Normal and Height maps (Zoomed in, down-right corner) :

Another problem is the filtering still producing subtle squares when playing with the transform parameter, as seen in these posts :
https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,18316.msg76763/highlight,smart+auto+til.html#msg76763
https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php/topic,23879.msg93840/highlight,smart+auto+til.html#msg93840

It's not very obvious, but a light Sharpen node will reveal a highly "blocky" texture.

Anything I can do, or any ideas ?
I'm using SD 2019.1.0
Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:06:58 am

I'm still having this issue in 2019.2.0, and I really need a solution.
I joined a log file.

To be clear, the texture tile perfectly, the problem is only on the edges of the texture.
I tried blurring the edge, or cropping, but this is clearly not suitable.
Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:14:03 am

Sorry for the late reply,

I've taken a look and it should be better now, could you test it and tell me if the result is right on your side ?

Download the two files and put them in C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Designer\resources\packages

If the answer is yes, I'll push the fix for the next 2019.2.3 bugfix version.
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

Ah ! Thanks a lot for taking the time to take a look at this bug.
Infortunately I still have the problem with the nodes you provided. (SD 2019.2.2)

Can you send me your graph and resources?

Sure thing, here it is : https://www.mediafire.com/file/qll5xfjp528gd1k/020.zip/file

(Note : textures files were originally in .TIF 16bits format, I compressed them to .JPG for upload size, I don't know if it have any incidence.)

Hi!

This one seems to be different: it is caused by the filter "Blur" parameter. I'd suggest using different parameters like increasing the grid size and reducing the threshold value, adjusting the crop area also helps:

I'd also suggest not to convert your base color to normal after the sharpen filter.

Hello,

What seems to be different ? The project or textures ?
I have played with parameters for the past 6 months without being able to have the desired result. I always have a thin line on texture borders. I have 150+ scans waiting to be exported, all have this same problem.

I have put the exact same parameters as you did and still have the issue. How does the render look on your side ?
Are you not having the 3px line on the very edges (like the first screenshot I posted) ?

I've used the modified packages I've attached earlier.

Edit: I've attached the modified sbs.
Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 11:45:41 am

Hum, I can see a vertical line in the sbs I've just sent, I'll take a look.

Could you show me what line you are referring to ?

I'm using them since you sent them to me, and still have the problem.

Also if I tile the picture you sent me, I still find the same problem :

It's definitively not tiling properly.

Here's how it look on my side :

With the nodes you provided, and the same parameters as your screenshot.

* I'm talking about lines on the very edges of the texture, if you tile the texture x2 in the 3D View, the lines will be at the center of the plane.
Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 01:39:27 pm

Hello,

Nicolas found a filtering issue on the node, a conversion was implicitly done on the mask between 2k and 8k in your case, leading to a blurry line.
For info, I'm currently working on a new tiling node with a better algorithm, this is one of the reasons I have not investigated the current smart_auto_tile as I should have, my bad...

Aha ! But that is good to hear !
I'm impatient to see what you can do then.  ;)

Hello,

Everything should be fine now, here's the fix:
  • The cut masks were not tiling correctly (no tile instead of vertical only and horizontal only)
  • The corner was computed separately leading to a discontinuity when merging and is now included in the first pass

This new version will be part of the next bugfix scheduled next week.
Sorry again for the delay !
Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 04:28:39 pm

Amazing ! No problem for the delay, as I'm sure you guys have a lot of work & other bugs to fix.
Thanks a lot, I'm Looking forward for the next update. Again, merci beaucoup !