Author Topic: Vast discrepencies in baking between versions?  (Read 299 times)

Hello, I recently updated substance painter to the latest version. Upon trying to re-bake a high poly to low poly model (I tweaked the edges of some of the boards in the high poly in an attempt to get a stronger normal map,) I noticed a massive change in the quality of the bake, now with many errors I had not previously encountered.

I had previously re-baked the high poly mesh a handful of times in the previous version of substance painter without running into any such issues. I've included screenshots of some examples of the bake under the old version and the re-bake:

Before: (I included the wireframe and a bit of the UVs to the right to show that they're pretty straightforward and simple in layout, so I don't believe they're the issue)

After:

Before:

After:

I used the exact same settings in the baker between each bake, and the high poly mesh was not moved within the worldspace. The low poly was not changed in any way between bakes. The in-viewer lighting is also the same in each before and after picture. (Also, the AO artifacts present on the original bake are intentional; the high poly model includes geometry to capture AO information so that I can overlay UVs for symmetrical aspects of the model while still being able to use procedural masks and stuff and duplicate and attach the geometry later in Maya, while the low poly model is slightly exploded to prevent normal map baking errors between separate pieces of geometry touching.)

I'm wondering if this is a bug, or if there's a way to make the baker function more like its old iteration, or if that's simply how the baker works from now on and I'll have to forgo rebaking for this project.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.