Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (Part2)  (Read 70133 times)

I have read this out of some different peoples postings unter this youtube entry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ObjDsGOAM
Thank you, although I cannot extract this conclusion from those postings. However, it is true that Adobe
officially announces that a whole country (Venezuela) cannot no longer use Photoshop etc. The Adobe license server will
not extend the subscription beyond october. This is a horrible and striking warning not to trust in subscription models.
Today they hit Venezuela, tomorrow it may be China, then the EU...

It is sadly true, and it's not an Adobe decision, but a US government one, that Adobe has to follow by law. Having some friends out there, it doesn't make anyone happy here about it.

Hello guys! I am a "hardcore hobbyist" and I like Substance so much I pay for my subscription even if I know I will barely have time to touch it. I am sad to see this change of course.

Is there any info as to how much of the original Allegorithmic team will remain on board? I find the majority of Adobe products bloated and unstable and try to avoid them. Having at least some of you guy steering the ship would be some relief for us long time users.

Thank you!

Yeah, what alexmees said... ???

And to add: I might have misread something, maybe they only meant older CC subscriptions are discounted, but I'm still relatively sure one at least talked about having his license for software before CC not working anymore...
But I could be wrong, as this thing says:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf1Rd7NQogE

I have read this out of some different peoples postings unter this youtube entry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_ObjDsGOAM
Thank you, although I cannot extract this conclusion from those postings. However, it is true that Adobe
officially announces that a whole country (Venezuela) cannot no longer use Photoshop etc. The Adobe license server will
not extend the subscription beyond october. This is a horrible and striking warning not to trust in subscription models.
Today they hit Venezuela, tomorrow it may be China, then the EU...

good news: https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-continues-digital-media-access-in-venezuela/

with the change to adobe i had already feared that it will come. now it is clear that you want to abolish perpetual licenses slowly. if allegorithmic is no longer interested in customers who prefer perpetual licenses, then i'm no longer interested in substance. it was a nice time with you. but for me it's time to say goodbye.
sorry, i do not speak english well. to write and read i use the google translator.

-> http://www.cgchannel.com/2019/11/adobe-changes-licensing-for-substance-products/

As expected. It has been a nice time Allegorithmic. Time for me to move on.

"After that, the only way to get access to new versions will be to change to a subscription, or to keep rebuying the Steam Indie version annually, which effectively doubles the cost."

Rock on, Adobe!
Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 02:08:09 pm

Please help me to sleep better:
Adobe seams to effectively shut down their CS6 (not cloud) using customers softwares although they bought them legally, if they don't upgrade into CC subscription.
So... how much can YOU as the former Allegoritmic team keep us protected from such a move by Adobe?
How much would an upgrade of a perpetual license cost? Only on steam? We bought the last perpetual in your store.

as much as I dislike Adobe nonsense, not true , CS6 works just fine..you can contact them for the downloads as well.. I had to re-install last night, but the download was gone... so I suggest contact them for support...we bought these, they cant just shut them down, that is illegal.....perpetual licenses....are life time...they can stop support sure...but they cant shut down your licenses....period..   only thing they can do is stop support, but they can't  turn off your CD keys.....sorry cant happen... You cant sell someone a perpetual license and decide years later to say its no longer perpetual licenses.... Thankfully we have laws in the US..... just like CS3, they tried that nonsense too....they can't..

I tried to renew my perpetual licenses tonight, for painter and designer.
I was able to, cool. Then I tried to buy a perpetual license for Alchemist. Impossible. (I know why now).
And my perpetual licenses will stop to be renewed in 2 years.
So all fears listed in the first post of this thread are becoming true, less than 1 year after the buy.

So if I resume :
- You allow perpetual licenses for now, but new app don't. So basically you force people to have a global subscription if they want to use them all.
- You will shut down perpetual subscriptions one day or another.

I tell you : I won't subscribe for Alchemist. Except if a perpetual license becomes possible (and workarounds are already here). And I'll buy perpetual licenses until it won't be possible to. After that, time to move on.

I tried to renew my perpetual licenses tonight, for painter and designer.
I was able to, cool. Then I tried to buy a perpetual license for Alchemist. Impossible. (I know why now).
And my perpetual licenses will stop to be renewed in 2 years.
So all fears listed in the first post of this thread are becoming true, less than 1 year after the buy.

So if I resume :
- You allow perpetual licenses for now, but new app don't. So basically you force people to have a global subscription if they want to use them all.
- You will shut down perpetual subscriptions one day or another.

I tell you : I won't subscribe for Alchemist. Except if a perpetual license becomes possible (and workarounds are already here). And I'll buy perpetual licenses until it won't be possible to. After that, time to move on.

Thanks for the feedback: it will be shared internally

For your second point, there are no plan to shut down perpetual license on Steam.

Just a note about that : I didn't buy perpetual license on Steam. Are you telling me that perpetual licenses are more reliable on Steam than on your own site (I renewed them here) ?!

OK. Good to know.