Author Topic: substance painter wont open? out of the blue?  (Read 12106 times)

i was using substance painter 2019 comfortably till one fine Saturday afternoon, it suddenly stopped working. I launch painter and i see the launching window and it shuts down before reaching the main screen. I checked the task manager to see if the exe was running and its not. I have my windows updated to the latest version along with the latest nvidia drivers and vc++dist . I did not see a pattern before this for example it stopped working after i installed a new application or any update. Any hu.. I tried uninstalling the latest few windows updates and also tried rolling back my nvidia drivers but it did not help. Substance designer how ever is working fine, all hail substance designer! The issue is only with substance painter. I tried checking the log file but its emptier than wallet on Sunday morning. I also tried going back to substance painter 2018 but even that wont open. Please help. My config is ryzen 1700x, gtx 1080, 16gigs of ram.

James Baxter!

yes i tried to search for an answer on the available forms and also searched google for a while and found some steps which i could try but they did not help. I know support relies on log files but my log.txt file is completely empty probably cause i did a clean install of sp and i cant generate one since i cant even get to the tile screen of substance painter. I have also seen this issue before on my friends computer but since he need substance painter urgently he reinstalled windows to get it running but in my case i cant afford to do so. Should this be moved to technical issues?
Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 10:49:56 am

Are you on Windows 10?

Did you install any new software between the time you last used the product to when it stopped working? Did you perform any updates between this time? Is your computer having any other issues? Slow downs, ect...???

What version of Painter are you using? Did you try installing an older version of painter and seeing if it works?

I am using windows 10. No I did not install any new softwares. And yes I did install windows updates but substance painter was running fine even 2 days after i did so but then it stopped working all of a sudden. I am using sp 2019.1.3.3176 but i tried rolling back to painter 2018 but even that doesn't launch. substance designer is working fine though

I am using windows 10. No I did not install any new softwares. And yes I did install windows updates but substance painter was running fine even 2 days after i did so but then it stopped working all of a sudden. I am using sp 2019.1.3.3176 but i tried rolling back to painter 2018 but even that doesn't launch. substance designer is working fine though

This could be a driver issue maybe assuming it's not from any conflicting processes preventing Painter from opening. Did you run anything like Driver Booster to make sure your drivers are up to date? What about your graphics driver?

The worst case solution is to do a full system nuke and driver update on a fresh install. Something clearly is preventing the application from running.

If you make a new user on your Windows 10 machine and install Painter does it work?

I also encountered this problem.
I don't know how to solve it now.
Win10 update to the latest version SD and SP did not respond

its been a few weeks now and without any efforts substance painter occasionally starts up all fine and some times it doesn't. Im not able to find any pattern to see what might be causing this. But when it does run i avoid shutting down the system and hibernate it instead. Im still not able to find any valid solution to this issue

its been a few weeks now and without any efforts substance painter occasionally starts up all fine and some times it doesn't. Im not able to find any pattern to see what might be causing this. But when it does run i avoid shutting down the system and hibernate it instead. Im still not able to find any valid solution to this issue

Did you try my prior suggestion?

"If you make a new user on your Windows 10 machine and install Painter does it work?"

yes i did try it.. doesnt help so now i just have wait for it to open up randomly and when it does I dont shut down my system and hibernate it instead.  :-\ but theres one more thing to note. Like i said it at times launches automatically and its very rare but if i crashes and i launch it immediately the next moment it opens up without any issues and also asks if i want to submit the crash issue but on the other hand if it crashes and i try launching it even after 10 mins or so then it wont work and ill have to wait another 1-3 weeks before i can get it to run automatically again
Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 10:57:03 am

I would consider a full re-install of your Windows machine then keep track of every program you install due to possible conflicts.

You should also list your full system specs here:

OS, CPU, GPU + Driver version, RAM
Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:50:37 pm

finally thats what i had to do. And now its working just fine