Author Topic: 2048 pixels only? really  (Read 5975 times)

Hi guys, just bought the beta on steam and was wondering if the maximum resolution of textures will stay at 2K. If so I would be really sad.

cheers
Guillaume

I just saw that too... not a limit that I would want to work at :(

I have heard the guys are hard at work at getting this ramped up to a higher res soon.

I have heard the guys are hard at work at getting this ramped up to a higher res soon.
I have also heard this too, but it would be nice to hear from them if so.

I have also heard this too, but it would be nice to hear from them if so.

From Wes McDermott on the Steam Forums:

For version 1 we will have 4K support and abilty to paint on multiple materials. 8K support and UDIM is on the roadmap, so Substance Painter will evolve into a versatile tool.

Hi,

We confirm what Wes posted. We are currently working on those topics, and they will be part of V1.0.0.

Cheers,
Head of Product Management

I wish I would have noticed this limitation before purchase, since 2k limit really makes it unusable for me (other than to test and play).  Will the Non-Commericial license version that those of us who purchased via Steam get access to the 8k resolution feature once 1.0 ships?  Any ETA on this?

I wish I would have noticed this limitation before purchase, since 2k limit really makes it unusable for me (other than to test and play).  Will the Non-Commericial license version that those of us who purchased via Steam get access to the 8k resolution feature once 1.0 ships?  Any ETA on this?

While I can't answer for the company I can share what I've read in the forums here and on Steam.

4K will ship with 1.0 - 8k is on the horizon, so V1.1 or 2.0? ETA; I think they have said a couple of months for V1.0.

4K will ship with 1.0 - 8k is on the horizon, so V1.1 or 2.0? ETA; I think they have said a couple of months for V1.0.

4k would be enough for certain tasks, but 8k is what I normally work at in other apps for 3d texture painting (Mari, ZB). 

I think, for me what hurts more than a 2K limit is being unable to have multiple 2K maps on a single mesh. I heard that this limitation will also be lifted in the near future.

Will the Non-Commericial license version that those of us who purchased via Steam get access to the 8k resolution feature once 1.0 ships?
I'd very much like to know this too. I just tried the trial version and it absolutely rules! In so many ways! But 2k textures are not really enough. Will the non-commercial version support at least 4k textures?

Edit: I found this on the Steam forums, by wesm:
It is not limited. It works just like Substance Designer and is purely a non-commercial license. However, you can use it to create assets for Steam store.
Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 09:37:18 am