Author Topic: Height map problem  (Read 602 times)

Hi guys!

Every time i load a substance painter project, the height details are broken and i dont know why and/or how to fix it.

A few hours ago i painted this
And now, i've this

Note : I'm using 2048x2048. If i change to 1024 or 512, is fixed, but i cant use the original resolution. Cant export either

Can you provide a log file:

https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/exporting-the-log-file-128745475.html

Do you get any other issues when using higher texture resolutions outside of this project? Is this only happening with a certain material?

Hi!

I've this issue only with the Basic Layer -i'm pretty sure-, i dont have issues with smart materials/Basic materials.

For example, right now in the project i've :

Folder A : Details (just the Basic Layer and a Black Mask) *I've the issue in this layer*
Folder B : Wood Smart Material with 1 height map *0 issues*
Folder C : Marble Smart Material with 1 height map *0 issues*

Are you able to PM the project file and I'll take a look on my end. You can upload it to Google or Drop box.

Done

I tested on my version 2019.1.3 and I'm using a GeForce GTX 1050 TI SC 4GB.

Your layer called 'Malla' is this a material you applied? I cannot see how this layer was created.

These are my results on my end by resolution:

Not really, i mean, i started to use Substance just a few months ago so i'm not sure if i understood your question.

I created a new layer (Add a Layer) > Grey color, Height, Metallic and Roughness, and a stencil, just that.

Note : GeForce GTX 970 4gb

Not really, i mean, i started to use Substance just a few months ago so i'm not sure if i understood your question.

I created a new layer (Add a Layer) > Grey color, Height, Metallic and Roughness, and a stencil, just that.

Okay, if you manually created this layer through alphas, or images you might run into issues depending on the quality of the image used and the initial resolution created in.

Did you take a gray scale image and stamp it over the entire section and mask it off? What is the size of the imaged used, and what resolution where you on when it was made? Moving up in resolution doesn't instantly mean you retain the same look at a higher quality when making things in a lower resolution.

Also, you're not taking up a lot of UV space as an FYI.
Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:18:50 pm

The initial resolution was 2K* and i didnt change it in any moment. This is the default setting in new projects :

The alpha is 1200x1200

A few days before, i used the same alpha, with the same resolution -2K- with 0 issues

Did you take a gray scale image and stamp it over the entire section and mask it off?

I created the Folder "Arco", then the black mask using the Polygon Fill Tool, then the basic layer with the stencil, the Badic Color, Metallic, etc.

* The inictial resolution was 2K, but the current one is still 2K, just to clarify

If you create a new project file and replicate what you did in this one is the result the same?

I noticed your log shows 2019.1.3, yet when I import the file it says it has to upgrade the file as it was created in an older version. Did this happen only went upgrading versions and using the older file in the new version of painter?

I'm thinking it was done in a prior version of painter and when you moved it to a newer version it messed up...?
Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 01:51:40 pm

If you create a new project file and replicate what you did in this one is the result the same?

I couldnt replicate the issue, but I keep trying

I'm thinking it was done in a prior version of painter and when you moved it to a newer version it messed up...?

Sorry for the misinformation, my fault.I started the project with an old version (2019.1.2 or 2019.1.1, not sure at all). I got the issue with the old version, i wrote here and meanwhile I thought "ok,i'm goint to try to update Substance, maybe...) but i got the issue using an older verison

I couldnt replicate the issue, but I keep trying

Sorry for the misinformation, my fault.I started the project with an old version (2019.1.2 or 2019.1.1, not sure at all). I got the issue with the old version, i wrote here and meanwhile I thought "ok,i'm goint to try to update Substance, maybe...) but i got the issue using an older verison

Ummm. Could very well be a bug if things were fine and when going back to the project it got messed up without changing anything. I would suggest working off the new version as you are now, and just redo it in a fresh and clean file (don't use the old project file even if it was updated).

Ok this is just weird, i'm trying to open a different project and i've the same issue. During the first seconds the height is fine, but then... looks like Substance cant load correctly IDK

Are these old projects from the prior version being opened in the latest version of Painter?