Author Topic: Need some help baking a blender 2.8 project.  (Read 831 times)

I'm new to Substance, so I followed along with Chris Plush's YouTube knife tutorial before and was able to complete that successfully.

I'm now trying to do my own project, and following the same steps, however I'm having a problem where the baking process isn't really working.  I referenced back to the Substance Academy YouTube Lantern tutorial, but I don't really see what the problem is.  Some things are different, such as I'm using an Unreal 4 template, as this is a game object.

This is 4 objects, exported to a single FBX file.  Each object has the _low or _high suffix as needed.

Here is the low poly version with things like place holder materials, sharp edges etc.

Here it is with materials removed (just to remove a variable) and with all smoothing set to smooth faces, same idea as Chris Plush's knife tutorial on YouTube.

Here is the high poly mesh with which I expect to use for baking

But this is the sad result.  Some of the baking works, like on the lever, but on the wood handle it's still a blob.  It's like this on other parts of the rifle barrel as well, like parts of the front sight look right, and other parts are a mess.

I could use some guidance here, I don't know what part I skipped or what step I broke.

Edit #1:

I've come back and messed with it some more, this time I imported the whole gun and what a mess.  Again, some parts work fine, others didn't bake anything.  I didn't get any log errors.

Edit #2:

Per request, here are screenshots of the settings I used.

As for the FBX export in Blender 2.8 RC1, I just use the standard settings, and export selected objects

First setting screenshot, import settings, nothing fancy, just selecting the UE4 template and importing the low poly mesh.

Second setting screenshot, Common settings, importing the high poly mesh, Matching by mesh name and setting the anti aliasing value.
\

Third setting screenshot, ID settings, changing color source to MeshID/Polygroup

Fourth setting screenshot, Curvature settings, unticking the enable seams tick box

Edit #3

Files of the carriage.

This is an old example with poor UVs with overlaps.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jarGWITSJq0Xy4jWH_RwTcSsqm2z0ZBq

Here is my current working file, just a part of the whole mesh, but the UVs aren't stretched or overlapping.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jnsK26bu4VMVBGT7qaYVMTRgaAfFSRNz
Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:19:10 am

Can you provide the low and high poly mesh plus screen shot your baking settings.

Can you provide the low and high poly mesh plus screen shot your baking settings.

Done, I edited the main post to reflect the settings, I'm working on a file now, but for whatever reason, I'm getting different (better) results this morning...even though I haven't done anything different that I'm conscious of, other than copying the parts to a new blend file.

Edit: I uploaded the carriage portion of the file, as that was easily causing problems this morning.
Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 05:37:39 pm

Continuing to play with it and I'm starting to get some better results, though it's still not there.

Working with the carriage this morning, I realized I had forgotten to UV unwrap it.  (I also forgot the stock) but the rest of the gun was done.  So fixing the UV unwraps (the uploaded file on google drive is now fixed as well) has improved the situation a bit.

Most of the carriage has baked in the way I would expect, but there are a lot of what appear to be ray casting errors.

And there are still a few sections where the baking didn't work at all, such as here on the guide.

Looking at the ID filter, and it appears everything got assigned the same ID group

I also did get some errors this time, something about unable to find vertex colors in the high poly mesh.  Must I use vertex colors?  That's not the easiest way to deal with assigning material groups in blender.

Code: [Select]
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.carraige.l_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.support_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.guide.arm.l_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.guide.high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.upperbrace.l_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.upperbrace.r_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.guide.arm.r_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.carriage.r_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.spacer.lower_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.knobs_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.spacer.upper_high
[Baking] Not enough data in the high poly to use selected baker. Baking has been canceled.
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.carraige.l_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.support_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.guide.arm.l_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.guide.high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.upperbrace.l_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.upperbrace.r_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.guide.arm.r_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.carriage.r_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.spacer.lower_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.knobs_high
[Baking] Could not find vertex colors in mesh Base.spacer.upper_high
[Baking] Not enough data in the high poly to use selected baker. Baking has been canceled.

I've been making some progress on the baking, but I still don't have anything useful.

First, I went back through and redid all the UVs, and made sure to eliminate any stretching and overlapping, that cured the issues I was having with artifacts. I also found a misnamed component, which is why the guide wasn't baking right.

So now I have a significantly improved result

However, it is not without issues.  Such as I'm seeing geometry from the high poly mesh where there shouldn't be any.

In blender with a glossy matcap, you can see it's perfectly flat

And there are many areas where the UVs are split, where the edges end up sharp, with improper shading

Edit 1

On further inspection, I'm certain this is low poly geometry showing through for some reason.

High Poly mesh doesn't match the lines shown in Substance
Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:58:35 pm

I'm only responding based on the file you attached:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jarGWITSJq0Xy4jWH_RwTcSsqm2z0ZBq/view

You have overlapping UVs when you're baking:

I didn't look at anything else you posted as the above is something you should correct before moving forward. I would suggest you spend some more time learning to uv-unwrap your meshes and understand scale and texel density.

And if you had simply read through all my posts, you'd see I have figured that out and addressed it already.  :P

Moving on, I found that if I add hard edges to all the UV seams, this (mostly) cures the visible geometry issue, however I still can't seem to figure out how to blend the hard edges/UV splits to look smooth.  I've tried adjusting the dilation width from anywhere between 8 and 32 to no avail.  I've tried with and without averaging normals as well, to no avail.

I keep finding more forum posts, more YouTube videos, not to mention advice from the game developers I work for, and lots of different ideas to try.  I'm getting closer. 

No problem. Best of luck.