Author Topic: How can I get a diffuse map from PBR  (Read 6484 times)

hey guys
I'm doing a project using painter .
some parts of my object is metal and i use the materials in painter. Then I export all channels including diffuse map. But the metal parts in the diffuse map are all black .
How can I get a right~traditional diffuse map from PBR ?
Thanks ~

Hmmm - PBR is not traditional ;)
Did you try "Unity 4 export"? Maybe that helps?

Cheers!

hey guys
I'm doing a project using painter .
some parts of my object is metal and i use the materials in painter. Then I export all channels including diffuse map. But the metal parts in the diffuse map are all black .
How can I get a right~traditional diffuse map from PBR ?
Thanks ~

HI,

It sounds like you are exporting PBR spec/gloss maps. In this case, the metal in the diffuse will be black. Metal doesn't have a color. The color comes for the reflectance value. In PBR Spec/Gloss this means the diffuse color must be black. The Specular map will have color in the metal areas, which are actually the reflectance value for the metal.

This diffuse map is not a traditional diffuse texture. Its purpose is to be used with a PBR shader. So with PBR Spec/Gloss, you will that the metal reflectance value is placed in the specular map and metal areas will be black in diffuse.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

So... the painted output would not be useable in a Maya workflow?  I realize Maya isn't and won't support a PBR workflow, but I imagine we could use the SP to paint regular good ole CG functional maps.  I can't believe as I've been learning SP, I never exported for Maya....yet

So... the painted output would not be useable in a Maya workflow?  I realize Maya isn't and won't support a PBR workflow, but I imagine we could use the SP to paint regular good ole CG functional maps.  I can't believe as I've been learning SP, I never exported for Maya....yet

http://www.kostas.se/tga-physically-based-shader/

Thanks, Dabxoom. Always handy to have an old 3rd party shader around in a clutch situation, but this is hardly an answer to a broadcast/film industry pipeline.

The trailer is pretty amazing, and SP's workflow is really compelling. A huge number of artists who see the demos are going to think this will plug in their broadcast/film workflow as there is no reason not to. When can this be expected?

Thanks, Dabxoom. Always handy to have an old 3rd party shader around in a clutch situation, but this is hardly an answer to a broadcast/film industry pipeline.

The trailer is pretty amazing, and SP's workflow is really compelling. A huge number of artists who see the demos are going to think this will plug in their broadcast/film workflow as there is no reason not to. When can this be expected?

Hi,

We will support traditional workflows as well. We will be including Blinn/Phong shader in Painter similar to the Blinn/Phong in Substance Designer.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja