Author Topic: Mesh appears correct in Maya but wrong in Painter  (Read 146 times)

Hello! I've been trying to model a sword in Maya for a bit of time, and although it appears fine in Maya, some things change in Painter. Here's how it's supposed to look (with/without wireframe for reference):

And here's how it appears in Substance:

I exported from Maya as an fbx. The UV maps imported correctly, but it seems that in the circled area, either:
a) The edges from the blade were brought outward when they're supposed to be inward; this reflects in the bakes (3rd photo).
b) The edges from the block of geometry in the middle of the blade were abruptly trimmed at the top.

There also aren't supposed to be any tris on the blade. I'm not quite sure what's going on here. Help is appreciated!

Might be some stray vertex/ an unwanted 5-sided polygon in there on the blade that Painter has triangulated automatically.

so much texture space wasted

also you have to split and pad your UVs along hard edges

troubleshooting advice: triangulate your mesh before exporting and see what it looks like. Maybe you are able to find vertices, which have to be welded/removed?

looking at your screenshots, it almost looks like there are two blade geometries (?)

Yes, those 2 blade geometries do not make sense. Model the blade in 1 piece. UV layout is not optimized for real time use.

Might be some stray vertex/ an unwanted 5-sided polygon in there on the blade that Painter has triangulated automatically.

I checked this in Maya with wireframe + vertex mode and also vertex face mode, but so far there aren't any ngons.

so much texture space wasted

also you have to split and pad your UVs along hard edges

troubleshooting advice: triangulate your mesh before exporting and see what it looks like. Maybe you are able to find vertices, which have to be welded/removed?

looking at your screenshots, it almost looks like there are two blade geometries (?)
Yes, those 2 blade geometries do not make sense. Model the blade in 1 piece. UV layout is not optimized for real time use.

Yes, there are two blade geometries; I did this because I wanted to add some glyph art onto a flat surface while keeping the inward curve that some swords have. In my mind it made sense to have a separate piece in order to have both occur, but I can try to make it into one piece. Side note: triangulating the mesh did not result in any weird/inconsistent geometry, so I don't believe ngons are an issue. That said, it does seem to fix the issue when moved over to Substance:

As for the UV layout, I'm still relatively new to mapping and layout efficiency. Could you guys clarify on how it could be better? If it's because of the large space around the shells on the right, I kept the shells at that size in order to keep a uniform texel density with the other shells. I also have them all under one shader so that in Substance, I can have everything textured and exported under one set. I would gladly accept constructive criticism on anything here.

As for the UV layout, I'm still relatively new to mapping and layout efficiency. Could you guys clarify on how it could be better? If it's because of the large space around the shells on the right, I kept the shells at that size in order to keep a uniform texel density with the other shells. I also have them all under one shader so that in Substance, I can have everything textured and exported under one set. I would gladly accept constructive criticism on anything here.

if you have separate smoothing groups/hard edges, you have to split the UV shells and move them apart (add padding between them).
more info on this topic here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyKu5CWYWHptg3EMfg3qtVQ, esp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ciXTyOOnBZQ

a word about texel density: My rule of thumb is, that I start the UV layout with consistent texel density and then fill the empty space by making the UV shells of the smaller parts bigger. Usually resolution issues are more obvious on smaller parts, that´s why I do it like this.
Needless to say, that with your way of modeling the blade, you waste tons of texture space. I would just mesh that flat part in or alternatively model that part flat without the indent (the indent could be in the higpoly only). Then you might even be able to get away with a rectangular (half sized) texture.
Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 10:17:10 am