Author Topic: MatFx Rust weathering not working since full release  (Read 9482 times)

Hi guys, the substance effect demonstrated in this video @ around 16:33 (MatFX Rust Weathering) was working fine for me in the Beta release, but since the full release of painter, it seems to be not working?

Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7g4q4iubvg

Cheers!

I noticed the same thing and imported some of the effects into substance designer. I think it is because Allegorithmic have chosen to rename "diffuse" to "basecolor" pretty late in the beta cycle. the thing is in Painter the channel is called basecolor now and the corresponding channel inside the fx is still called diffuse. that is why it isn't working. It is the same reason all pbr materials don't propperly auto connect inside substance designer anymore. Most pbr materials have a diffuse output, but the output when you create a new pbr graph is now called basecolor. when names mismatch it doesn't know what to do. I hope this gets sorted out quickly as most of the material weathering effects inside Painter are utterly useless.

btw. is there an ETA on version 1.0.1 ?

sounds like a legitimate bug then. I've reported it, but a bit surprised it's not been picked up before release?

The MatFX Rust is working. Make sure that you have adjusted the Rust spreading also be sure you have the appropriate input maps set for the effect. Please let me know if you continue to have an issue.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

rust is indeed working now in version 1.0.1 but it wasn't in 1.0.
What still seems to have some trouble is matfx_skin_scale, which gives the error message: "[Effect Substance View] Input height_alpha has no corresponding channel"
And matfx_surface_brush gives this error message:"[Effect Substance View] Output diffuse was no recognized" this was the same I had with matfx_rust_weathering in version 1.0 btw.

here some pics to illustrate. I loaded the Substance Painter sbsar files into Substance Designer and looked at the input and output names.

First observation on the rust weathering effect: it now says "basecolor" as input and output. When I looked yesterday with version 1.0 it read "diffuse".

Second observation. the skinscale effect moans about  "[Effect Substance View] Input height_alpha has no corresponding channel", yet it seems to have one, but as it looks it doesnt have a "height" input, although it has a "Height" output. is that supposed to be that way? Why is Painter giving this error?

Third observation. the surface brush effect says: "[Effect Substance View] Output diffuse was no recognized"  and indeed, while it has a "basecolor" input, it doesn't have a "Base Color" output but "diffuse instead. Painter seems not to like this.

Anyway, would be nice if theese things would get caught by QA before the next hotfix.

;)

rust is indeed working now in version 1.0.1 but it wasn't in 1.0.
What still seems to have some trouble is matfx_skin_scale, which gives the error message: "[Effect Substance View] Input height_alpha has no corresponding channel"
And matfx_surface_brush gives this error message:"[Effect Substance View] Output diffuse was no recognized" this was the same I had with matfx_rust_weathering in version 1.0 btw.

here some pics to illustrate. I loaded the Substance Painter sbsar files into Substance Designer and looked at the input and output names.

First observation on the rust weathering effect: it now says "basecolor" as input and output. When I looked yesterday with version 1.0 it read "diffuse".

Second observation. the skinscale effect moans about  "[Effect Substance View] Input height_alpha has no corresponding channel", yet it seems to have one, but as it looks it doesnt have a "height" input, although it has a "Height" output. is that supposed to be that way? Why is Painter giving this error?

Third observation. the surface brush effect says: "[Effect Substance View] Output diffuse was no recognized"  and indeed, while it has a "basecolor" input, it doesn't have a "Base Color" output but "diffuse instead. Painter seems not to like this.

Anyway, would be nice if theese things would get caught by QA before the next hotfix.

;)

Thanks for posting the issues. I have forwarded this to the dev team.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks for the reply Wes, definitely not working in 1.0. I wasn't aware there was an update released? there hasn't been any notifications.

Just fixed it, will be available in the next update.

Nicolas
Product Manager - Allegorithmic

while your at fixing the rust effect.  Any chance you can expose the drip direction.  If the UVs on the object are not setup with the height of the object going 0-1 on the U the drips will appear sideways.

Hmm.. the drips direction is actually driven by the position map, so the way the object is unwrapped does not affect the effect.

Product Manager - Allegorithmic

that doesnt seem to be the case, unless the posistion map is wrong.

This img is the position map that was baked in substance designer.

Here is the effect applied, youll see in the highlighted area the drips are going up and down, should be left and right.

Here it is in 3d view

that doesnt seem to be the case, unless the posistion map is wrong.

This img is the position map that was baked in substance designer.

Here is the effect applied, youll see in the highlighted area the drips are going up and down, should be left and right.

Here it is in 3d view

Hi,

The position map you are showing contains all axis. You will want to provide the Y axis. You can change the mode to One Axis, then choose Y in the Substance Designer baker.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

ahh that would make sense, thanks.

but with that logic, i would need to make sure all my UV are facing the same direction.  Sometimes, for packing purposes, that might not be possible, hence, having a direction control exposed would be helpful.
Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 07:59:00 pm

ahh that would make sense, thanks.

but with that logic, i would need to make sure all my UV are facing the same direction.  Sometimes, for packing purposes, that might not be possible, hence, having a direction control exposed would be helpful.

Hi Gregg,

You don't need to worry about the UV direction. The Y axis is in reference to the object position. It will create the gradient based on object position and that will be applied to UVs. So, even if the UVs are in different direction, it will still match. Its not just a y gradient  down the UVs.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

ok, thanks