Author Topic: normal map problem in painter  (Read 7584 times)

hi there,

i have baked some maps from mesh in substance designer. after import the mash and maps in substance painter the normal map going wrong - please see picture attached. in marmorset i have the check box tu check "flip Y" and normal map looks like i substance designer.
i have try to flip the greenchanel in photoshop but i got the same bad result.
how can i fix the normal map for good results in substance painter?
thanks jerry

make sure that if you are baking your normals maps in designer and using opengl, you need to set it to opengl in painter in the Project Configuration section.  If you use Direct X then set it to Direct X.  Usually if you use maps baked from Xnormal, it bakes in opengl.

make sure that if you are baking your normals maps in designer and using opengl, you need to set it to opengl in painter in the Project Configuration section.  If you use Direct X then set it to Direct X.  Usually if you use maps baked from Xnormal, it bakes in opengl.

Hi,

This is a good suggestion. You can go to Edit> Project Configuration and switch the normal orientation format to see if this fixes the issue.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

thanks for your answers, but unfortunable ive got no better results :-[
maby i give xnormal a try... :(

I guess the problem comes from the fact that Painter currently uses a different tangent basis than the ones available for baking in Designer (MikkTSpace and Unity). We will use the same tangent basis plugin system in Painter as we do in Designer in the future.
PS : switching to XNormal will probably not solve the problem as by default XNormal also uses the MikkTSpace tangent basis.

yeah thanks!
the problem is between objectspace and tangendspace.
i have convert my normal in xnormal and it runs perfect BUT please add the same tangent basis plugin in painter as you have in designer!!  ???
thans make sense  ::)

jerry