Author Topic: How to use `Height to Normal' Filter  (Read 120 times)

Hi.

I've heard using the `Height to Normal' filter gives nicer results than just using height maps.

I'd like to compare both approaches but can't figure out the correct way to connect a height map and filter to a layer without outputting both height and normal information.

Any help as to the correct way to use the `Height to Normal' filter would be appreciated.

Thanks. :)
Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 06:52:31 pm

Ok, I've figured out the correct setup from the Tile Sample scene that ships with Painter. :)

Unfortunately the resulting normal information is way out of range, even after playing with Surface Size.

Must still be doing something wrong.

Could you post screenshots of your setup and your results?

Might be easier to describe my setup.

So I created a layer and set Height' to pass-through. I then added the `Height to Normal' filter.

Below I created a fill layer with a black mask to which I added a `Fill' and dropped on a height map I had loaded into the project. I then set the height channel to 0.65.

The image on the left shows the effect of just the height map. Looks good and exactly like I'd expect. :)

The image on the right is with the `Height to Normal' layer added. As you can see the pixel normals are no longer unitised.

TBH I'm not entirely sure what this filter was intended for. Thought I would just check it out. :)

What settings did you use for the filter?

Overwrite Existing Normal = On
Use World Units = On

I found with Surface Size at 1000(max) and Height Depth at 0.1 (min) the normal channel looked correct but no different to not using the `Height to Normal' filter. Adjusting either of the latter parameters introduces the orange and green colours shown in my earlier screen shot.

I don't really have an end goal with this, I'm just trying to familiarise myself with all of Painters features. :)

I suppose my real question is what is the intended use for the `Height to Normal' filter given that painting into the height channel already contributes to the normal channel when combined?

I suppose my real question is what is the intended use for the `Height to Normal' filter given that painting into the height channel already contributes to the normal channel when combined?
The Height to Normal native conversion may not be strong enough sometimes (like in the case of our sample project). Also you may want sometimes to convert the height to a normal map in the middle of the layer for using it with other filters. The native conversion only happens after the whole stack is computed.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Ok, thanks Jeremie/Froyok.

Useful to know. :)