Author Topic: Creating your first Substance Material Training Course  (Read 1342 times)

Hello!

In this course you will learn how to create your first Substance Material using a practical, real world example.
You do not need any previous experience with Substance Designer.

The course is divided into four chapters:

**Ch1:** Discusses workflow, Substance Designer and node architecture

**Ch2:** Creating the height data

**Ch3:** Creating maps such as roughness, base color

**Ch4:** Material layering, exporting textures and publishing sbsar files

If you have any questions or need help, please let me know : )

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thank you for your awesome tutorials! This couldn't have come at a better time for me. I purchased the Substance suite just over a year ago,  but only recently have been able to start learning Substance Designer and Painter. I started some of your older videos on Designer a couple of weeks ago, but to a certain degree minor differences between the newer and older versions compounded to make it a bit difficult for me to follow along.

Could you possibly provide a version of the project file compatible with 2018.2.2? I can certainly follow along without it, but it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dawson

Thank you for your awesome tutorials! This couldn't have come at a better time for me. I purchased the Substance suite just over a year ago,  but only recently have been able to start learning Substance Designer and Painter. I started some of your older videos on Designer a couple of weeks ago, but to a certain degree minor differences between the newer and older versions compounded to make it a bit difficult for me to follow along.

Could you possibly provide a version of the project file compatible with 2018.2.2? I can certainly follow along without it, but it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Dawson

Hi Dawson,

Thanks so much! So glad to hear you liked the tutorials. Are you looking for the sbs project file? You can find it on the Substance Academy site.

https://tutorials.allegorithmic.com/courses/Creating-your-first-Substance-material/youtube-y8q6-tgQjZc

Right above the video is a download link and you can grab the sbs project file.

Cheers,
Wes

hi Wes, very detailed tutorial ;p. can You tell me what is wrong? my preview mesh is flat  :-[

edit: image not showing.

i connect 3 nodes(generator, normal and AO to base material but plane is flat)
Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:37:50 pm

hi Wes, very detailed tutorial ;p. can You tell me what is wrong? my preview mesh is flat  :-[

edit: image not showing.

i connect 3 nodes(generator, normal and AO to base material but plane is flat)

Thanks! Glad you liked the training. It sounds like you could have the following issues:

1. The tessellation shader is not set
2. The Scale value of the shader is at 0.

Please check the attached images.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi, thank you for replay. tesselation is set and i increase the scale but nothing happened :'(

Hi, Could I ask you for turn on subtitles/translation on the film ;)

02-04: Working on small shapes part one
02-08 Using the Shape Splatter node to create small dirt mounds
02-11 Exposing parameters on the twig subgraph
03-02: Creating the base color for the ground
04-02: Exporting textures

Thank you very much

I just wanted to ask really quickly when I brought my twig shape in it kept the background data so when it was served into the shape splatter node and scattered it was like a square with a twig embedded in it. How can I fix this. I have a picture here to show what happened.

Loving the tutorial! I'm having some problems with the transform on the twig once I have instanced it. It isn't working. The scale is working fine, but when I try to move the transform, nothing happens. I have rewatched the previous video on exposing parameters and I've done everything right. Do you know what it could be?

Hi, can someone tell me why my parent size is greyed out?

Hello!Pl help me!
In "03-03 Creating the base color for the rocks" film,

shape splatter blend color node,
the Pattern3, it doesn't seem to work.
only two colors.

Hello everyone! Got a little problem: can't find the settings for display node budges...

Hello,

Just wanted to show you what I was able to make following this awesome course.
I really enoyed it.

Hi, thanks for the tutorial. I'm having an issue publishing after adding the water level node. I was able to publish without it
but this error message keeps popping up. I don't know exactly what error 6 is referring too. What have I done wrong?

Thanks.