Author Topic: Substance in 3ds Max 2.2.0  (Read 15755 times)

Hello everyone,

We have updated the 3ds Max plugin to version 2.2.0. This version is released for 3ds Max 2018, 2019 and 2020.

There is a big shift in the installation infrastructure for this version. We have switched to an MSI format for the installer, which is different than the previous installer. The cleanest upgrade is to go into the 3ds Max install folders and run the uninstallers for 2.1.1, then installing 2.2.0. Installing over 2.1.1 shouldn't cause issues, although it is less tidy and not recommended.

With the change to an MSI installer, the plugin now has separate installers for each version of 3ds Max that it supports.

2.2.0 Release:
  • Added support for 3ds Max 2020
  • Updated to the Substance Engine V7, adding support for value processors from Designer 2019.1
  • The plugin now loads the Substance engines relative to itself
  • Change to MSI format, proper silent install/uninstall via Microsoft tools
  • Installer and files are now properly signed
  • The installer no longer modifies any files from the original plugin
  • Fixed issue where the menu would not load in 3ds Max 2019 (and 2020)
  • Added native support for the ART renderer
  • Fixed issue with Corona workflow script when there is no glossiness output
  • Workflow scripts are now distributed as plain .ms files, and can be inspected
  • Smaller cosmetic changes and stability improvements

The installer for 3ds Max 2018 is the main one on the Downloads page. As of now, the installers for 3ds Max 2019 and 2020 need to be downloaded from our page for 3ds Max, located here:

https://www.substance3d.com/integrations/substance-in-3ds-max

Cheers,
Galen
Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:12:12 am
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya and 3ds Max
galen.helfter@allegorithmic.com

If we have a local render farm that has a couple render slaves with limited GPU capability, what setup type should be used to install?

For the local render farm, I would run the uninstallers for the 2.1.1 plugin, and then install the new msi package. You can run a silent install of the package using msiexec on powershell, like this:

msiexec /I C:\Path\To\SubstanceIn3dsMax-2.2.0-2020.msi /quiet

Replacing the path with where you have the file located.

After that, if you need to switch to the CPU engine, there is a .ini file located at:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2020 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\Substance2.ini

You can change the Engine field to Engine=CPU to alter the settings there.
Maya and 3ds Max

For the local render farm, I would run the uninstallers for the 2.1.1 plugin, and then install the new msi package. You can run a silent install of the package using msiexec on powershell, like this:

After that, if you need to switch to the CPU engine, there is a .ini file located at:

C:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2020 - 64bit\ENU\en-US\plugcfg\Substance2.ini

The install created an .ini file for Substance2 on my workstation, but on the render node there is only a substance.ini in that location.

Did something not install correctly?

The install created an .ini file for Substance2 on my workstation, but on the render node there is only a substance.ini in that location.

Did something not install correctly?

I copied the Substance2.ini file on my workstation and pasted into the plugincfg on my render node, and everything is working properly! Thank you for your help!

Does this new version work with distributed rendering in Corona?  I see it works with backburner, but I've had issues in the past with DBR.
Thanks!
-Jesse

Hello,
After installing your plugin on 3ds max 2020 in french, the export of the scene in the format obj, fbx etc ... does not work anymore.
3 ds max crash. I uninstalled the plugin, the export works again. To validate my observation, I installed the plugin again, the export does not work anymore.
Best regards.
D. Largey

Are you exporting an fbx with a material using Substance applied to it?
Maya and 3ds Max

I tested several scenes, I can not tell you if this error is due to the material Substance applied. I had exported the same scenes with 3ds max 2019 without errors.
When this error occurs, 3ds max crash already before opening the save file dialog box, so before the export procedure.
I will test with a new scene without material Substance and give you a return.

Thank you, that will be very helpful.
Maya and 3ds Max

The new version should work distributed with Backburner for Corona. It was one of the ones we tested with for the 2.1.1 release. We're looking at ensuring it works with other systems later that may be more convenient to use.
Maya and 3ds Max

Hello,
The error occurs with and without hardware Substance. The error also occurs with a new scene that contains a single object.
Here is a newspaper event:

Name of the failed application 3dsmax.exe, version: 22.0.0.757, timestamp: 0x5c7f03ff
Faulty module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.17763.404, timestamp: 0x490b0aeb
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Error offset: 0x000000000006e91e
Failed process ID: 0x4bec
Default application start time: 0x01d520e7a8ef5b5f
Faulting Application Path: C: \ Program Files \ Autodesk \ 3ds Max 2020 \ 3dsmax.exe
Faulty module path: C: \ WINDOWS \ System32 \ ucrtbase.dll
Report ID: e4dd964a-c530-4f52-9953-53043d74c54e
Full name of the failed package:
ID of the application related to the failed package:

Galen,
I'm not looking for backburner, just plain old distributed rendering.  In the render setup tab, distributed rendering category, you can enable distributed rendering and add computers to jump in and help render on your local machine.  I can't seem to get it to work.  I keep getting an error message on the rendering nodes that has the following info:

Assertion Error Information----
File c:\jenkins\workspace\gerrit_review_max2\label\maya2_win\v...\substancetexturemap.cpp
Line: 833
Function: SubstanceTextMap::Load
Expression: false

Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:10:57 pm

I can take a look and see what happens when doing that. If this causes an issue, then we will have to fix it. I'd recommend trying with backburner instead.

We'll want to see what we can do on our end to work with more convenient systems, such as deadline.
Maya and 3ds Max

Hello , i have the same problem in the material editor same last version, when the file is open in new sesion the render in material substance to vray its in black, after open the material editor (slate editor) and view the substance and render in material editor , the material its ok here attech image . 3dmax 2018 vray next update1.2