Author Topic: Updating Mesh and Preserving Triplanar Calculations  (Read 970 times)

Is there any way to update the mesh in a project while somehow preserving, or manually compensating for, "triplanar recalculations" when the overall dimensions of the mesh changes?

For example, I have a character that's already been painted on. I'm swapping out the lower half of the body with a different mesh (whether fused or multiple objects) and the lower half of the body has different dimensions - taller and wider. The intent is that I'd like to preserve the "seams" at the waist for the existing materials in triplanar mode and then paint on new markings/effects.

Problem is that any change to a mesh other than the UVs seems to A) destroy all of my brush strokes, and B) change the position & scale of triplanar mappings.

I can compensate for A by importing the exported textures from the original project, but B is a problem - the seams no longer line up. Is there any way to preserve the triplanar "mapping" when a larger mesh is swapped in, and if not, how can I do the calculations by hand using the triplanar position+scale settings?

It's worth noting that I never changed the "position" of the top half of the mesh, but Substance Painter seems to disregard that and only look at the overall scale?

Indeed the scale of the triplanar box is relative to the global scale of the scene. That's something we'll have to address in a future release.

Indeed the scale of the triplanar box is relative to the global scale of the scene. That's something we'll have to address in a future release.

Looking forward to this! :)