Author Topic: Out of VRAM  (Read 4489 times)

So I was happily following along with the new toturial series on Allegorithmic's youtube channel, when Substance Painter started to crash constantly. First I was pussled as to why this happened, but when I looked in MSI Afterburner it became apparent that my GPU was using all of its VRAM. I have been running a size of 2048 just like in the toturial and lowering to 1024 do help, but once I start tweaking things the VRAM usage will quickly jump up and Substance Painter crash.

My GPU has 4GB of VRAM which is decent enough, so I don't know if SP just demands insane amounts of VRAM or there is some issues with the application. Are there any other who have similar experiences?

I got the exact same problem, yes apparently its vRAM issue and i think tis is very bad :'( im thinking 12Gb nvidia TITAN Z or another 4k card running in crossfire mode, not sure if this can really help though now :-X  i really really hope there will be a workaround/fix to this soonest...or im screwed too :o I cant switch to 4k maps even when im done with all the tweaking...Video card gadget shows Memory Usage so its pretty much all 4Gigs there already, so i guess no way to make a workaround or something...

Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:55:58 pm

This is probably caused by a memory budget bug we have fixed, which should ship in a hot fix release soon. There should be no need to change your graphics card yet :)

This is probably caused by a memory budget bug we have fixed, which should ship in a hot fix release soon. There should be no need to change your graphics card yet :)

sounds good mate, you think SLI/crossfire mode would help with performance at all? cause its the only option i got, and 12GB TITAN Z is a bit pricy right now ;D it costs my whole rig ;D

This is definitely a bug as I can go and paint in 4k on my laptop with 2GB VRAM with no crash whatsoever. SLI will not help with Substance Painter.

memory leak still not fixed in 1.01 :'( is it going to be in 1.02???  i think theres still a bug also that prevents switching to 4k and gives an app crash when you got different maps resolution in your document, also PLEASE make a tooltip information to texture resolution you got in your channels and in the shelf...
Jeremey i got 3 texture sets, and i cant preview and export them all in a single app session, bit frustrating :-X
Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:02:46 am

i think theres still a bug also that prevents switching to 4k and gives an app crash when you got different maps resolution in your document

Do you mean if you use bitmaps in fill layers with different resolutions?

i think theres still a bug also that prevents switching to 4k and gives an app crash when you got different maps resolution in your document

Do you mean if you use bitmaps in fill layers with different resolutions?
in the layers stack i got only a single AO map which is exactly the same i got loaded in the channel. so no, its not the case i think.

Substance Painter is crashing on me alot too, mainly it's a low memory error message while watching the tutorials and program closes when Google Chrome is open on Youtube, quick masking does it too.