Author Topic: Where do I begin?  (Read 8063 times)

I just bought the indie pack a couple days ago and I have been watching tutorials on youtube all weekend long.  The problem is I just don't know where to begin where to start or what program does what.  If anyone can give me a clear explanation of what each program is used for it would be very helpful because I'm completely lost.  This program is reminding me when I first touched Maya and I had no clue what to do in it.

I apologize in advance for the noob questions.   

In short
Bitmpa2Material is for Images that you take with yor camera or from sites like cgtextures, to create Normalmap, Specularmap, AO map and some more.
Designer is for creating your own "Images" and use that for your objects.
Painter is to paint your model by your self or with the "images"  that you have createt with b2m or SD.

But you are still able to mix all together. Take an image from cgtextures modify it in SD and use that substance in SP and create some nice textures for you object, or skip the SD part and use the b2m textures in Painter, or use only SD and SP, or maybe SD only for your model.

It depends always on your work. I would prefer SD for Hardsurface Objects, and SP for Organic Objects.
b2m only acts as helper for difficult textures that you are not able to paint or create rto use in SD or SP.

Is it safe to say that Bitmap2Material is something like CrazyBump program? 
Painter seems like the most easiest to understand to me because you literally paint on your model.
Designer is a little more complicated to me, correct me if I'm off, but SD is where you create a substance and import it to SP to paint with it?

Another question I'm quite confused with, say you finished a model in Maya and now you want to texture it would you have to make the UVs in Maya or could you make them in the Substance programs?
Sorry if that was just a idiotic question I was watching the tutorials online and they would always have the mpas ready to go, but they would never say that they made the maps in the Substance program or if they did it in an outside program.

Yes, B2M is like Crazybump on steroids and can also be used directly in game engines such as Unreal and Unity :)

As for UVs, Substance doesn not deal with them, so you will have to setup your UVs in Maya prior to exporting.

That's great!!! It's going to be fun to use that.

That's a bummer, but thank you for the help!

How about SD I'm still quite lost with that program I'm unsure how to use it.  Is SD basically just to make materials?

What game engine are you targeting? UE4, UDK, UNITY? It is of essence that you use the right shading to match the engine. Nextgen PBR or current gen Diffuse, Specular, Normal

Take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9EwZHUKCLY&list=UU9Cf1HhLWn_PYaMthnSO8Xg

This is a complede workflow, how i use SD to texturing a weapon.
Maybe that explains a little bit more, how you could use SD.
I work with a custom Node that i have created by my self, but in the actuall version of SD you find a similar Node to work with.

Hello,

We also have "Getting Started" tutorials for both Substance Painter and Substance Designer, which are part of the Indie Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCyJEDZLLQvusBxDbskFmh9K

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCwLRTzdb-RxadGk_xBBQKar
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

What game engine are you targeting? UE4, UDK, UNITY? It is of essence that you use the right shading to match the engine. Nextgen PBR or current gen Diffuse, Specular, Normal

I'll most likely be using Unity because I'm running on a Mac machine and that I know of UDK isn't supported on a Mac.  I haven't done any research on UE4.  Currently I'll try using current gen shading because so far that's what I'm familiar and what I have been taught.

Take a look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9EwZHUKCLY&list=UU9Cf1HhLWn_PYaMthnSO8Xg

This is a complede workflow, how i use SD to texturing a weapon.
Maybe that explains a little bit more, how you could use SD.
I work with a custom Node that i have created by my self, but in the actuall version of SD you find a similar Node to work with.

First that is a beautiful hand gun.  Thank you this actually helped me out more than I thought!  You basically made most of the material by yourself?  I'm familiar with using nodes because I've worked with Nuke the compositing program, so to me instead of working with a shot and comping it together SD is doing the same thing, but instead of a shot it's a model and making nodes to make a material.  Thank you again this was so helpful! 

Hello,

We also have "Getting Started" tutorials for both Substance Painter and Substance Designer, which are part of the Indie Pack.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCyJEDZLLQvusBxDbskFmh9K

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB0wXHrWAmCwLRTzdb-RxadGk_xBBQKar

Thank you for these links I was looking for something thing could basically teach me the programs.

Thanks for the feedback.

Thats right. I use SD to create my own Materials, and thats the main working area of SD.
Or you create your Substances in SD and use that Substances to Paint in SP or use it in one of the Game Engines that support Substances like Unity.

Thank you again this really helps me understand SD and it's power.  I have one question about your workflow I seen that you made a metal or metallic weathering or grunge I can't remember the exact name of the map, but how did you make that?  I've never seen anyone use a map of that sort?

Thank you again this really helps me understand SD and it's power.  I have one question about your workflow I seen that you made a metal or metallic weathering or grunge I can't remember the exact name of the map, but how did you make that?  I've never seen anyone use a map of that sort?

Hi Andre,

Is it my workflow you are wondering about? Did you see that map in a video? Just point me to the section in the video and I'll let you know what I did.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

In my workflow, these grunge effects are one of the standart Mesh Adaptive Filtes that ships with SD.
It is called metal edge wear, and gets calculatet from an AO and Curvature map of your model.