Author Topic: How to distribute shapes accordingly to this pattern A-B-B-B-B-B..-A?  (Read 808 times)

Hi all
I'm trying to understand how to set up the Tile Generator or the Tile Sampler so to create a row of 2 shapes distributed accordingly to this pattern A-B-B-B-B-B-B-B-B..-A
Where Shape A is both in first and last position and in between there are multiple shapes of type B (the number will be controlled by the user, so there could be 3 B shapes as well as 20)

I want to use it to create a stone "Balcony" rail, where the first and last shapes are cubes and the mid shapes a n number of cylindrical shapes. IMM from ZBrush are usually set up in this way.

If someone can give me some suggestions I will be grateful
Thanks
Paolo
Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:28:06 pm

the thing, that I don´t understand about this task is this: the higher the number B gets, the thinner the resulting strip of this railing is going to be, because as far as I understand this, you want to stick to a constant texture ratio

for B x 3, this would fit in a width/height 2/1 texture, but if you have B x 20, this would fit in a texture ratio of maybe 16/1

so the resulting output would vary in texel resolution, depending on the value for B, because the higher B is, the smaller the elements, which make up the railing, would be.

the thing, that I don´t understand about this task is this: the higher the number B gets, the thinner the resulting strip of this railing is going to be, because as far as I understand this, you want to stick to a constant texture ratio

for B x 3, this would fit in a width/height 2/1 texture, but if you have B x 20, this would fit in a texture ratio of maybe 16/1

so the resulting output would vary in texel resolution, depending on the value for B, because the higher B is, the smaller the elements, which make up the railing, would be.

Yes correct.
More Bs automatically will produce a decrease in the height so to preserve the proportions. Would that be a problem?
 I guess it would also be easy to adjust the height separately with a 2d transformation node though, correct? the important thing for me is how to tell the node to select shape A just for the first and last slot, with an Expression or any other method.
Many thanks
P
Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 07:33:04 pm