Author Topic: [SOLVED] why is substance designer asking for a dependent of an autosave (...)  (Read 1512 times)

This has been going on since the first time Designer crashed. Once in a while I try to check an autosave to see if I can recover lost work, and click through "file can't be found" dialogues for a half-an-hour. After that, when I try to load certain nodes or graphs, it starts trying to open all the dependencies remotely associated with it. I mean, in some cases the only relationship between the .sbs I'm trying to use and the one it is trying to reference is that it was once open at the same time as a graph that was open when I loaded an autosave.

It's costing me too much time, too many times in a row. What is causing this? Is there any way I can stop it from going on?

Also, why does Designer ask for dependencies it never creates in the first place? Why can't it find the original dependencies where they've been located all along?
Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:49:26 am
David Roberson
Freelance 2D|3D Artist

Auburn CA, United States of America
davidbryanroberson.artstation.com

Hello David,

Thank you for reaching out.

Please note that in order to restore a project from an autosave, you need to move the autosave to the original SBS file location, then rename it to the original file's name (see attached GIF). The original file can be deleted, or renamed to '<name>_original.sbs' for instance.

As a first step, please confirm you follow these steps when restoring from an autosave.

For your information, you can choose the auto-save time period, as well as the maximum number of files to be kept at all times, in the 'Edit > Preferences > General' menu (see attached GIF).

If these steps do not solve your problem, we will investigate further and ask you more details about your system and usage of Substance Designer.

Best regards,
Luca Giarrizzo

[Attachments]
DEMO_AutoSave-1.gif
DEMO_AutoSave-2.gif
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

I finally figured out what was going on. SBS files located in my dependencies and autosave folders were being included in my Library, and I was pulling them from there into current graphs. When I re-opened the graphs, it would try to locate resources from locations that had since been overwritten or deleted by Designer. I've added exclusions for those directories in all the Library folders I've created and can make filters for. I don't know yet if the default filters/folders include graphs from dependencies or autosaves. I'm keeping an eye on it.

Thanks for your reply, and the included examples.
David Roberson
Freelance 2D|3D Artist

Auburn CA, United States of America
davidbryanroberson.artstation.com

Hello David,

Thank you for the follow-up!

The default Library filters point to resources included in the Substance Designer installation package, and are relative to the installation path.
Specific user graph dependencies will be auto-saved alongside the SBS, and should be restored following the same procedure as explained in my previous message.

Indeed, please get back to us if you encounter filters that appear being automatically pointing to auto-save folders resources.

For the time being, I will mark this request as 'solved'.

Have fun using the Substance tools!

Best regards,
Luca Giarrizzo
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team