Author Topic: Unity 2018 normal maps - question on FBX export/import settings  (Read 92 times)

I've been having some troubles with importing normal maps into Unity 2018 and I'm looking for info.

The export settings in Substance Painter have Unity 5 presets, do they work for 2018?

I found the following official video regarding exporting fbx files for baking for Unity, however that seems to be quite old and as far as I know Unity 2018 does use Mikktspace, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR3r7Xmhmlk&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCx994Cb7iRFSmupYHFw5DTx&index=21

So I'm assuming I should use the UE4 method from that video of exporting the FBX without Tangents and Binormals, and enabling "Compute tangent space per fragment" when importing the model to Substance Painter and using the DirectX normal map format?   

In the video he does export with Tangents and binormals for Unity and disables the Compute tangent space per fragment when Importing into Substance Painter and uses OpenGL, that is outdated right?

Would I then just use the Unity 5 export texture preset or do I have to change that somehow as well?

edit: I've tested this a bit, I think something is off:

Tried exporting the model with binormals and tangents and without, tried baking both with "compute tangents space per fragment" on and off.

My results so far:

So basically nothing matters, it always looks the same when I import it into unity except when I turn binormals/tangents OFF in the FBX and enable Compute tangents space per fragment on import into Substance, then it'll create some weird shading artifacts.

I left the Unity import settings at default in all tests, should they be changed in some ways? All cases got very messed up when I played with the import settings. here are the default ones:

Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 06:49:14 pm

I find it alarming that nobody seems to have answers regarding this topic.

I'm using unity 2019 and my normal maps along Unity's Z axis (Blender's Y Axis) are not appearing inside of unity (but work just fine in substance and in blender)

I hope you find the answer you're looking for, commenting so I can keep better track of this as it might end up helping with the issue I'm facing too.

Good luck!

I find it alarming that nobody seems to have answers regarding this topic.

I'm using unity 2019 and my normal maps along Unity's Z axis (Blender's Y Axis) are not appearing inside of unity (but work just fine in substance and in blender)

I hope you find the answer you're looking for, commenting so I can keep better track of this as it might end up helping with the issue I'm facing too.

Good luck!

Hi,

Just to make sure I understand, you are getting artifacts in the bake from SP to Unity? There can be a number of issues with normal bakes. Usually the main issue is from a mismatch in how the tangent basis is calculated. Unity now uses mikkt for the tangent basis, which is the same as SP.

However, it can be confusing with Painter as we don't have a control for this. With Painter, if tangents are not found in the FBX file, Painter will use Mikkt. If tangents are present, then they are used in the normal bake calculation. So if you use tangents in the fbx to bake the normal, but Unity is using Mikkt space then you will have some issues with the normal map being displayed in Unity.

Cheers,
Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja