Author Topic: 3D View Problems on Fullscreen  (Read 786 times)

Hello,
I'm having troubles with my 3d view for a couple of weeks now and when I make the 3d view fullscreen on my second display (monitor). There is no problem when I don't use it on fullscreen but when I do switch to fullscreen the toolbar (Scene,Materials,Lights,Camera etc. section) becomes unresponsive, the 3d view starts to have graphic glitchs and can't reswitch back to windowed mode. Turning off 3d view from Windows tab doesn't work either and an unresponsive window persists on my second display. As a workaround I have to restart substance designer. I am using Steam version of Substance Designer 2018, up-to-date. My graphics card is Gtx 1080ti which is also up-to-date. I can add further images, videos if I have to.
Thanks in advance.
Atilla
Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 11:36:56 am

Hello Atilla,

Thank you for reaching out. In order to investigate this issue further, please provide the following additonal information:

• Can you identify any significant change on your system that has happened just before the unexpected behaviour started to appear? (updating graphics drivers, updating Substance Designer, connecting a monitor, installing a piece of software, etc.)
  • Does the behaviour appear when the main window and the 3D View are swapped out? (i.e. each on the other monitor)
  • Does the issue appear when the 3D View is in fullscreen on the same monitor as the main window?
  • When the 3D View becomes unresponsive, is there still any activity on the GPU? (you can track it in the 'Performance' tab of the task manager)
  • Can you quit Substance Designer properly when the issue appears, or do you have to force quit with the task manager?
  • Does the issue appear after you roll back your graphics drivers to an earlier version?

We thank you for your time!

Best regards,
Luca Giarrizzo
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hello again,
-I usually update my Substance Designer and Nvidia graphics card. I definitely updated them in the last 3 weeks.
-The problem doesn't happen when I use fullscreen on my main monitor.
-Everytime I do switch 3d view to fullscreen on my second monitor, 3d view's toolbar (Scene,Materials,Lights,Camera etc. section) not working. But only in some of the cases 3d view stays there forever unresponsive and I have to force quit it with the task manager but that's very rare, Usually double clicking the toolbar puts the window back in place.
-I haven't roll back my graphics drivers and I prefer not to  :)
-I will write a new message when the next 3d view freeze happens and tell you about more about Performance Tab in the manager.
Thanks.
Atilla

Hello Atilla,

Thank you for your response, and for the detailed additional information you provided. It helped us identify the issue more precisely.

It appears the library we use to run the graphical user interface of Substance Designer (Qt) has problems dealing with multiple monitor configurations that feature displays with different pixel densities (i.e. DPI).

From your log file, it seems to be the case for your system.

We are currently investigating the issue further and will do our best to fix the problem. A fix might also be implemented in Qt in the future.

In the meantime, you can avoid the issue by using displays with matching pixel densities. using the exact same displays would be the safest way to go about this.

To follow up on fixes implemented in the next releases of Substance Designer, you can take a look at the release notes, available here.

Best regards,
Luca Giarrizzo
Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 05:23:36 pm
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hi Luca,
Sorry for my late response but I have some concerns about the inference you made about the problem. I use same monitor with same brand, model, resolution and DPI, and I even returned them to their factory settings. I have no special DPI settings for Substance Designer and my display settings for both monitors is the same. I provide you some of the display settings I have. Can provide further information if requested. Thank you for your support.
Best regards,
Atilla
Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 11:45:24 am

Hello Atilla,

Thank you for your response and for providing these addtional details. Also, apologies for my erroneous inferences, you were right in pointing that out.

We had multiple reports of UI and graphics issues when the 3D View is set as fullscreen on a different monitor than the main Substance Designer window.

We were able to consistently reproduce unexpected behaviours with both AMD and Nvidia GPUs - although the symptoms differ between the two. We are actively investigating it, and will make sure get back to you if we need further information about your system, as you kindly offered.

Your help is appreciated! In the meantime, the 'solved' status of your request has been removed pending new information.

Best regards,
Luca Giarrizzo
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team