Author Topic: Artifacts with height in IRay  (Read 630 times)

Hi All,

This is a problem that I've been wrestling on and off with for a few months. Essentially, when I render the height channel (usually using IRay), I get some weird artifacts. In the images posted, I have a really simple graph that I feed directly into the height channel. The size is 4k for all of the nodes, with 16bith depth. I've set the height scale to 1, and have am using the "Length" method of subdivision with a minimum length of 0.1. I've tried using a HQ blur at the end, but it doesn't remove it completely, and the edges loose some of the desired sharpness. No matter how I tweak it, I can't seem to get rid of the notches/dimples that appear in the raised area without washing out the other details. I'm using the rounded cube mesh, which (from another post) sounds like it has enough polygons for the tessellation to work properly.

Looking at other renderings that folks have posted, I feel like I'm missing something, because I have seen much larger height ranges that look much smoother that what I have. Any thoughts, comments or suggestions would be really appreciated. I'm sure there's a technique or something here that I'm missing, I'm just not sure what it is.

Thank you for your time!

Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 01:41:46 am