Author Topic: Looking for the Blinn/Phong Shader  (Read 2174 times)

Hey Mates,

im modding for the RenX Fangame.
my Problem now is that the PBR SPec/Gloss Shader looks very different to the UDK (Unreal Engine 3) Shaders.
I remembered that there was a Blinn/Phon Shader in the Substande Share.. but the shader is gone. Is there someone who has it for me? I hope that the Shader get a better Preview in Substande to Match the look of UDK3 Shaders .

greetings Kem

small push

Does the Blinn shader in Designer not show good results? Judging by the highlight it may actually be Blinn-phong (Though I'm not sure) but Blinn-Phong is often just called Blinn.

Keep in mind it requires a light to be turned on and be near the object to show the diffuse.
And you can remove environment reflections by right-click-dragging a uniform color into the viewport and setting it as the panorama. The color of this will act as the global lighting.
Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:44:26 pm

Does the Blinn shader in Designer not show good results? Judging by the highlight it may actually be Blinn-phong (Though I'm not sure) but Blinn-Phong is often just called Blinn.

Keep in mind it requires a light to be turned on and be near the object to show the diffuse.
And you can remove environment reflections by right-click-dragging a uniform color into the viewport and setting it as the panorama. The color of this will act as the global lighting.

sry for the late reply.. i was on vecation.
i dont use designer.. just substance painter. so there is no blinn phong shader .. but in substance share was one some time ago.

does your last tip helped within substance painter too?

Ah, ok, you accidentally posted this in the substance designer section of the forum.

But painter has a shader called non-pbr specular glossiness, which should do about the same. There is a template for it as well when you make a new file in painter, so it automatically uses the correct texture channels.

This one in painter doesn't use reflections by default and has a slider for global light in the shader settings, so you won't need the same trick here.

There are probably still some differences between this shader and what UDK uses, so you should do some tests first to check if they look similar enough.

Ah, ok, you accidentally posted this in the substance designer section of the forum.

But painter has a shader called non-pbr specular glossiness, which should do about the same. There is a template for it as well when you make a new file in painter, so it automatically uses the correct texture channels.

This one in painter doesn't use reflections by default and has a slider for global light in the shader settings, so you won't need the same trick here.

There are probably still some differences between this shader and what UDK uses, so you should do some tests first to check if they look similar enough.

oh thx for the reply. i didnt knew that im here in substande designer area... probably i should rewrite it in the right section.
the shader you mentioned i was already using. its good for exporting the textures but its far away from the udk (unreal engine 3 shaders)
i hoped that the blinn phong shader will make a better job

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.