Author Topic: [SOLVED]Issues with Form Fill Render  (Read 1107 times)

Hi All,

I'm working on a stained glass texture, and have run into an odd issue with the Flood Fill nodes. Basically, I'm using them to color the individuals panes of the stained glass, with the color values being decided by an image. The results look correct in the 2D view, but 3D render looks like it's filling in a block outline around the shape. This occurs both with OpenGL and Iray.

Attached are the images of the part of the graph that determines the base color, and the render. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but have no idea what that is. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Kind Regards,
Jon

Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:24:19 pm

Hello Jon,

Thank you for reaching out to us. In order to help you address this issue, we need the following:
  • The exact version and build number you are running of Substance Designer (see 'Help > About Substance Designer...' in the top menu bar);
  • Your SBS file, which you can send to me as attachment to a direct message. Note: If you are using any specific dependencies in your graph (imported images, instances of external graphs, etc.), please make sure to use the 'Export with dependencies...' option when right-clicking on your package.
Thank you for your time!

Best regards,

Luca Giarrizzo
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hi Luca,

Thank you very much for the quick response. Here is the version info Substance Designer:

Editor Version: 2018.3.4 build 2204 commit 564914f0 Release (2019-04-12)

Cooker Format Version: 3.0.0 commit 0x00000000

Engine Version [Direct3D 10]: 6.3.0 commit 0xabfeeb9d (2019-04-12)

I will send the .sbs to you directly. Thank you again for the help!

Kind Regards,
Jon

Hi Jon,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your graph and assets. Your issue is fortnuately easy to solve.

It appears your image is compressed in a way that the shape is entirely relying on the alpha channel. The RGB channel have been compressed to blocks, as shown below in this channel breakdown:

For your information, the Base Colour sampler only processes the RGB channels - which, in your case, feature those blocks of colour. To see this in effect, you can switch the Alpha channel on and off in the 2D view with the button highlighted in red in the picture below:

Please note you can split the RGB and Alpha channels of an image with the 'Alpha Split' node, as shown below:

To make sure the flame shape is applied in the RGB channels, you can use the Alpha channel as a mask in a 'Blend' node with a white background, as shown below (the Levels nodes are for demonstration purposes only, so you can see the Alpha Split in action):

You can connect the result of this step to the 'Color Input' of the 'Flood Fill to Color' node.

We hope this is helpful, and will further your understanding of how images are processed in the compositing graph.
Feel free to get back to us if you need further assistance.

Best regards,

Luca Giarrizzo
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Hi Luca,

Thank you very much for looking into this and discovering what was going on. I obviously have a lot to learn, and really appreciate the breakdown and complete description of what is going on. This is tremendously helpful both from the perspective of solving this particular problem, but also in understanding how the images are processed overall.

Kind Regards,
Jon

We are happy to help!

Have fun with Substance!

Best regards,

Luca Giarrizzo
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team